Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Traveler > 1958 Traveler
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Long Beach , California
Gray tank?

Does the 1958 Traveler have a gray tank under the floor?

My guess is that it does not. I can't really tell from the one exit pipe under the belly pan, which is under the toilet area. I suspect that if it did have a gray tank there would be two gate valves. There is only one PVC elbow from the bottom of the belly pan, with no gate valve (most likely broken off. Unless the original toilet had a dump valve inside for an internal black tank.

If there is no gray tank, then I will have to add one for an upgrade.
cuyeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuyeda View Post
Does the 1958 Traveler have a gray tank under the floor?

My guess is that it does not. I can't really tell from the one exit pipe under the belly pan, which is under the toilet area. I suspect that if it did have a gray tank there would be two gate valves. There is only one PVC elbow from the bottom of the belly pan, with no gate valve (most likely broken off. Unless the original toilet had a dump valve inside for an internal black tank.

If there is no gray tank, then I will have to add one for an upgrade.
Airstream gray water tanks did not start until the 1974 models.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Lyme , Connecticut
Your grey water pipe joins the black pipe after the gate valve, it does not go into the black tank, so alot of us use a portable tote to catch the grey water when there are no hookups.
seldencove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:35 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Long Beach , California
Thank you for your replies. It was a guess on my part, and appreciate the info from the experts. I do have a portable grey tank, but really dislike having to carry it along. It may be the easier option rather than stuffing one between the belly pan. Still evaluating if I go that far with a renovation. If the belly pan comes off, I am going to consider it.

I was all set to make my first run to Inland RV to see Andy, and after the morning working on the Airstream, I found out that it was closed on Saturday. See ya during the weekday M-F!

Cliff
cuyeda is offline   Reply With Quote