Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Blogs > jsapp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

1. Old Comment

1987 Excella 1000 34' Project

In over my HEAD!

We are leaving for Valdosta, GA this Thursday and I thought it would be nice to replace the nasty '87 mauve carpet and lay some clean floating bamboo. Bad Idea! With the carpet and pad removed i have found all the classic AS faults; floor rot in tail section, door threshold, rot around the toilet flange and a really wavy spot b/w the m/w cabinet and the fridge.
    The floor is too uneven to lay the bamboo so I will need to rip it up and replace it. Should I rip it up in the uneven/rotted spots only and lay the floor for my trip this coming weekend or use throw rugs to make the trip and dive deeper into a complete overhaul when we return? I'm so torn....
  2. Old Comment

I have 7 new tires and flooring is my next move. Mauve carpet is terrible. Unfortunately my curbside rockguard left me on my last passage.
  3. Old Comment

Sounds good. One recent thing I heard about that may be worth looking into. Go with nitrogen in your replacement tires. Less heat, better wear, no interior moisture on the radials/rims, and the tire pressure holds up better, especially when sitting idle.

Picked up the Airstream yesterday. It is really in good shape. One little plumbing issue to be resolved tomorrow in Alachua on the way to Disney; otherwise, no complaints.
  4. Old Comment

Good luck with Disney. I have to put a full set of tires on mine before I go that far because they are still the originals. We will definitely have to get together and talk shop sometime since we are pretty much running identical units.
  5. Old Comment

Amazing how things work out. I, too, bought an '87 34' Excella. Picking it up this week. We, too, have twin beds. Hope you guys enjoyed St. Andrews Park. We're headed to Disney at the end of this week.
  6. Old Comment

I did purchase the unit listed in Griffin, Ga. I'm sure you will be pleased with a towable over a class A. We are planning our maiden voyage in our not-so-maiden trailer for next weekend at St. Andrews state park in PCB, Fl. Pics soon to follow.
  7. Old Comment

I just got your e-mail. You never verified, this was the one from Griffin, GA, right? I am 37, and I dig them. My best friend is 38 and he's sworn by them for 5 years. He bought a 2005 AS brand new, and has put almost every imaginable upgrade you can on his. I owned a Class A, and just sold it to buy a 34' Limited/Excella. I didn't want the depreciation of an RV, and wanted something I could afford to let sit for 6 months or so if we planned to do other things. I like AS's because of the following and the quality. The RV I had just was designed to be too light, and thus, the parts were fragile. Overall, you cannot beat the quality of an Airstream. My buddy has some experience working with JD Sanders for repairs, though he touts Airstream of Arkansas in Searcy, AR as the finest dealer next to Airstream itself in Jackson Center, Ohio. I can provide you more info via e-mail if you wish. I am at tommysuter@gmail.com. Regards.
  8. Old Comment

I live in Bonifay, FL (mm112) which is only an hour from Tally. Good luck with the Limited, they are really nice. I'm going to restrain the desire to rip the Alclad from the interior for now and get as much use from it "as is" so that I can justify the level or resto/mod that I'd like to try. I'm thinking clean Al, dark-stained birch plywood, and classic brown leather upholstery. I feel somewhat free from the hardcore vintage resto crowd because my unit falls after the '85 cut-off date. We have an AS dealer in Panama City now for factory parts and the best body shop I have found for AS seems to be JD Sanders in Alachua. Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only 30yo who digs AS's...
  9. Old Comment

I, too, am in North Florida, and am looking for a similarly sized Airstream. I saw the one you bought in Griffin, GA. This was a good buy-- a project, but in the end, if you do things right, you won't lose a penny. I am currently looking at a similarly aged 34' Limited. This, too, would be a bit of a project. If we do some of this in tandem, we can likely get some good deals and save some time and effort. Where are you located? I am in Tallahassee.

Regards.
  10. Old Comment

after becoming a new menber, i have just started a polish job on my 1987 airstream 31", this site was great in helping my to start my project, a great big thank you for this web site. robert beavers
    Posted 05-23-2010 at 06:49 PM by
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.