1. Old Comment

Pocket doors, overhead cabinet and couch...

On the overhead cabinets is the back of your mounting strip that attach to the inner skin cut at an angle if so what angle & now did you get the correct curve for the curved end cap- great work and I would like to copy at your idea
  2. Old Comment

1950 Liner "Weeble" - Floor installed and roof vent made

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boxite
    Please... I hope you have those trailer wheels blocked while up on the ramps and you're beneath...
    Also, I hope you know that SS screws/bolts will galvanic/corrode next to aluminum unless you utilize nylon washers..? https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ickkey=3010106
    Yes, the ramps have a large lip to keep the wheels on the ramp. The front jack was also dug in to a screwed down block. Before the back belly pan sheet, I also had a 6x6 saw horse wedged under the rear to keep it from lift under weight in the back.

On the SS comment - I didn’t realize galvanization on SS to aluminum was an issue. Will look into for future spots where using SS screws/bolts in the shell. Seems better to use than steel rusting out. Thanks for the info.
    Updated 03-26-2018 at 08:10 AM by Bowmans
  3. Old Comment

Really REALLY nice work! (and fun reading your writings) Thx
  4. Old Comment

Please... I hope you have those trailer wheels blocked while up on the ramps and you're beneath...
    Also, I hope you know that SS screws/bolts will galvanic/corrode next to aluminum unless you utilize nylon washers..? https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ickkey=3010106
  5. Old Comment

1950 Liner "Weeble" - Frame painted, wheel wells welded and floor cut

I have been meaning to post updates but got a replacement PC and the photo editing software/FTP haven't been set up. We are going shell off and back on the new frame next weekend if the weather holds. I just finished framing up the shell and prepping this weekend.
  6. Old Comment
  7. Old Comment

1950 Liner "Weeble" - New frame built

Well done and thanks for posting. I have a 1949 Curtis Wright and will have to do the same when I have time. Thanks for the inspiration.
  8. Old Comment

1950 Liner "Weeble" - New frame built

Adding a comment to add one more photo.

The propane tanks on the mount:

9. Old Comment

Interior painted, now on to the woodworking

So glad I found this post!! Lots of awesome ideas. What a beautiful job you did. Inspirational!
  10. Old Comment

I attached the top of the overhead cabinets using a strip of 3/4" by 3/4" pine in the inside of the face frame. I used screws to hold the strip to the cabinet face and then about 6 screws in to the aluminum. For the bottom, I used the same type of strip across the bottom, under the cabinet bottom. I also used about 3 butterfly brackets across the top strip and 3 across the lower strip to make sure they didn't pull out. Where the overheads touch a side wall, I attached firmly on the inside of the overhead.
  11. Old Comment

How did you attach the upper cabinets?
  12. Old Comment

Interior painted, now on to the woodworking

So many questions

I am so glad I found your post. My husband and I just finished gutting our 1977 Sovereign Land Yacht 31 foot. Our shower pan I don't think was ever used so our plan was to reuse it (thanks for the type of paint you used to coat it). Now all my questions for the walls. I too kept the walls to use as templates when I go to rebuild everything (I think we will pretty much use the same floor plan as before). I see you are using "paneled walls" for the shower are you going to cover those walls with something else for water protection? how will you seal the seam between the shower pan and the wall? Also how are you attaching the new wall to the interior skin? (As you know most of the walls were attached with that copper colored tin piece that got screwed into the interior skins) What will you use as a door into the bathroom? I kept the original one also as a template. How are you going to cover the toilet vent up? Box it in with light weight wood? What size bed to you put in the back? I've been told we can put 2 twins together to make a King size bed. Are you reusing the furnace that was originally there? - saw your vent opening. So sorry about all the questions but I saw your post and once we got everything out it's always the big question now how do we put it back together (but better). Thank you again. Tamie

PS I'll try and figure out how to attach photos so I can show you what ours looks like.
  13. Old Comment

Thank you very much for posting this for us all to see!

Question for anyone who knows, how do you attach the new wood to the airstreams inside wall? I haven't been able to find info on this. Thank you!
    Updated 06-14-2016 at 06:08 AM by Hazwick (Mis typed)
  14. Old Comment

1950 Liner "Weeble" - New old window made

You have incredible talent!! Very, very nice!!
    Posted 06-04-2016 at 10:23 PM by Overlander & Sea Overlander & Sea is offline
  15. Old Comment

1950 Liner "Weeble" - New old window made

Bowmans: Very nicely done! Your persistence paid off as you thought through the problem and came up with an ingenious solution. Well done.
  16. Old Comment

1950 Liner "Weeble" - 1950 window frames are a PITA!

After some trial and error, I was able to put the frames together without cutting the seal around the curves. This should be better for sealing. Takes a fine balance of pounding the frame on some and then pushing the seal in some, repeat. I have 6 windows in at this point.
  17. Old Comment

1950 Liner "Weeble" - 1950 window frames are a PITA!

very helpful post!
    thanks!
    just getting in to my first of 14 windows to do.
    already broke one...
    ha ha
  18. Old Comment

Just bought a 1950 Liner... And number 2. Are we crazy?

I set a $10k budget for renovation (not including the $2800 it took to buy and get it home) over 3 years. I will be keeping good records on cost and labor hours as we did with the first one. So in three years, hopefully I can say we stayed in budget .
  19. Old Comment

1950 Liner "Weeble" - Interior walls pulled and last of 65 year old insulation gone!

Thanks Gman1957. Not sure I have it under control but I am taking it one step at a time and will see it through to the end.
  20. Old Comment

1950 Liner "Weeble" - Interior walls pulled and last of 65 year old insulation gone!

Looks like you have it well under control! Thank You for sharing what all us Streamers are willing to go through for our Baby's. Keep up the Great work and I look forward to seeing the rest of the project to the end result.
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.