Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Blogs > Airstream, Harley-davidson and the american dream in france
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Hi the community;
I am bruno from France ( brunoffrance...) and the happy owner of an Overlander 27' from '71.
The blog -story was made to tell the uncommon story about our Airstream from USA to France, step by step in 2002.
After that I've tried to tell stories with this new toy and other american toys came in my life.
After the caravan , it was the pick-up truck to tow it, then an Harley-davidson, then travels in USA, my wedding in USA....
I try to post interesting subjects on what it's passion for my wife and I, with lot of pictures and comments ... from me.
hope you ll read it with great pleasure.

the adress is:
https://american-dream-in-france.blogspot.com/
  1. Old Comment
  2. Old Comment

hi again, new Airstream season and a new Airstream in France.

Hey Bruno, Very cool blog. Almost got caught at work when the music started playing. Ha Ha

Salut
    Nick
  3. Old Comment

Grrrrrr.....

Hey Bruno, we have a 1970 airstream Overlander almost like yours...welcome to the site...But Melody is right, you need to post on the other forum pages....Welcome and enjoy your wedding, don't have any extra kids....
  4. Old Comment

Grrrrrr.....

Bruno,
    Check the water heater forum....
    https://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...ter-29828.html

there are more to see but the answer you are looking for is here.
    This Blog area of the Forum is useless. Hardly anyone will look here unless they have a specific the are following. Post your questions and comments on the other side....we all want to hear from you.
  5. Old Comment

french Airstream owner...

Hi Edward...
    better late than never ... there is no alert when some one let a comment....
    no idea where Gérard live but I 've understood he wanted to be quiet.... after a long working life ....
  6. Old Comment

Hi Canoestream...
    does Dirk's airstream come from you ?
  7. Old Comment

Thanks Bruno! Yes, I've noticed Dirk online with us. Glad that you steered him our way. Bonjour
  8. Old Comment

french Airstream owner...

Where is Gérard ?

Hi Bruno,
    I notice on Gérard's licence plate that he's in 'Essonne', just like me... Think you could provide some contact details by private message ? I'd really like to get in touch with him and see his Airstream with my own eyes. As you know, they're pretty hard to see 'en vrai' in our country.
    As a matter of fact, I may even come and see yours, some time ;-)
    A un de ces quatre,
    Edward
  9. Old Comment

This is the end...

Bruno & Nancy - Sad to know your Airstreams are in winter storage. They're fun to camp in when the weather is mildly cold too - snuggle weather!! My 2003 30' Classic lives in a shed beside my barn (we live outside the city, in the countryside) and the AS also serves as a spare bedroom when we have too many visitors for our small home. The visitors get the 2 bedrooms (and where ever else they want to sleep in the house, like the sofa or a pad on the floor) and my partner Judi & I sleep out in the Airstream!! We love having company!! When the company asks to sleep in the Airstream - we just tell them no, that's OUR favorite get-away spot. You might want to see if the people who own your storage buildings will let ya'll do the same. Re-install the propane bottles, get some adaptors for the electricals, turn on the furnace & have some fun. And - try some winter camping too.

All the best - Jim
  10. Old Comment

Water heater dismountle

Bruno,

I pulled the water heater out of my 1969 Overlander this evening. Patched the opening with a sheet of aluminum temporarily. Checking out camping world, there are suitable 6 or 10 gallon tanks from Attwood and Suburban for around $400 (usd). The heaters I looked at are smaller than the opening for the old one. I will have to figure something out.

Best of luck.
    Jim
  11. Old Comment

This is the end...

Thank you

Hi Bruno. We are new owners of a '72 Overlander and we also tow with a Ford F150, which I love. Sadly, we put our AS in storage a few weeks ago as we have two small children and work full time jobs, so it is difficult to get away for a weekend. Also, the weather is getting cold now. I feel heart broken to have the AS in storage and cannot waite until the spring. You gave me some good ideas about keeping our AS safe, so thanks for that. We met many people this summer on our trips and everyone commented on our AS, including several Europeans. I really feel our AS and this new lifestyle filled a void in my life and gave our kids a broader sense of community. I feel so calm and relaxed behind the wheel and will dream of new adventures all winter long. Thanks for your passion.

Nancy, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Thank you Nancy for this message.
    You'll see it'll be a great moment when you 'll come back to your Airstream for the new season... About me, I'll take it again, in April...
    Always a bit impatient to arrive to this date.

Bruno
  12. Old Comment

This is the end...

Hi Bruno,

It appears that you like American things. What comments have you received from your countrymen. I am sure that the A/S is not something that they see very often.

Jerry

I agree with you, most of frenches and european people have never seen an A/S before, except in few ads or movies...
    Always great comments , sure I think they envy us to live this kind of American life...
    Never meet people that don't love that and it's a very good way to know interesting people with other passions, often American passions and it's a pleasure to have this kind of contact.
    Updated 09-23-2008 at 11:09 AM by brunoffrance (reply)
  13. Old Comment

This is the end...

Do you only have good weather from June to September in France? We use our trailers from March till the middle of November here. Such a shame you have to leave your wonderful AS alone and worry about all those things that could happen to it. Can you not park a trailer at your home in Europe? Guess I don't know much about Europe; however, we seem to be free to do more over here. I have a Sovereign and an Argosy and a boat and a car hauler sitting in my yard all winter here in Oklahoma, and no one thinks anything about it. They are sitting out in a side yard away from the house, so it doesn't look like a salvage yard, but I can go out and play with them any time I want. Heck, Winter is when I do most of my repair work.

I live in the north of france and weather from June to the end of August is rarely very good...
    this year was medium so as we continue to work, it's not really a problem except when it's raining all the night, for the noise . So when the sun shine, we really know how to appreciate it because it's always for a small period.
    hopefully we drive to the south of france for the Real vacations ( 3 weeks ), near Bordeaux and weather is better...
    About my home, it's in the center of the city and it's an apartment... so no way to park my toys in front of the city hall....
    My brother' s house is the place where, from april, I can do repairing and some works but i don't want to let the A/S , all the year , outside...
    Updated 09-23-2008 at 11:02 AM by brunoffrance (Reply)
  14. Old Comment

This is the end...

That's a nice looking storage unit! Nice clean and safe for the winter. At least you can spend the winter here warm with us on the forums!
  15. Old Comment

This is the end...

Ford F150

Hi Bruno,

What vehicle do you use to tow your A/S?

I have been reading your posts. I don't envy all of the rules and laws that you have to deal with. My wife is from Switzerland (where every picture needs a frame <G>...) where most things are "verboten".

It's great to see that we have a friend in France!

Jerry

Hi jerry;
    Good question when you see what kind of european cars, can tow this heavy caravan...
    I' ve choosen the famous american pick-up trailer ford f150 because I have to carry my harley-davidson in vacations... and only that pick-up Ford, can do.
    As the A/S from USA to Europe, I wanted to import a F150 but it's very difficult with all the laws to be able to take the road legally... I'm not specialized in importation and only dealers can convert US car for the european market;
    The F150 I've found was ready for France and was found in Paris area...
    You can see it on my blog from Blogger:

Sure , it's not easy in switzerland to do something when this country is not considered as a part of the EEC ( European Economic Community)...

Bruno.
    Updated 09-14-2008 at 11:44 PM by brunoffrance (reply)
  16. Old Comment

New Awning

the cost:

nice awning how much it cost

without taxes:

the sunbrella "CAPRI": 275 euros;
    mounting with the dealer (3,5 hours): 185 euros
    taxes ( 19,6%) : 90,26 euros
    total: 550,76 euros
    Updated 09-07-2008 at 08:39 AM by brunoffrance (reply)
  17. Old Comment

New Awning

that looks great. thanks for the tip
    Posted 08-31-2008 at 08:00 AM by
  18. Old Comment

New Awning

we were 2

Wow! Your awning looks great. And you were able to do this alone? I will be having to redo my own also have a 1986 Airstream Excella.

No there was the dealer with me ; Alone, it's not impossible but not easy to put the awning in the upper rail, without making disasters on the new and clean awning...
    You need force to slip in the rail ( one person) and someone else to guide it at the beginning of the rail if you don't want to tear the awning.
    Many other reasons to be 2....
    Updated 09-07-2008 at 08:32 AM by brunoffrance (reply)
  19. Old Comment

New Awning

Your Airstream looks great. Nice job on the awning.
  20. Old Comment

New Awning

Just lovely So cool and shady, enjoy! ~G
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.