Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2004, 02:49 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Send a message via Yahoo to jjonesnc
Leak Quest......

Hello Friends,
It seems where the awning attaches is leaking all the way down the side of the trailer, one long leak. In the picture you can see where the PO(s) went mad with sealant, so much so that i cant see the rivets. I dont want to gut the entire interior to get to where the rivets come thru on the inside to see which ones are leaking but it seems to be the majority of them. All along the edge if the ceiling panel where it meets the wall panels on the curb side shows signs if leaking at one time or another.
What kind of rivets are these?
How should I remove them?
Im getting off the subject here but since these leaks are directly related to the floor problems im having, ill keep everything together in this thread (as jaco pointed out i should do )

Thanks to all of you who have replied to this thread, and to everyone in the forums. God bless all of our silver palaces!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awn.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	5166  
jjonesnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 02:56 PM   #22
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I had a leak coming in between the ceiling and wall panel, and I'm pretty certain that the culprit was actually the plumbing vent gaskets. those need to be replaced every few years. when they go, water gets in around the outside of the vent pipe, then saturates the insulation in the ceiling. from there, it can wick just about anywhere. do a search on the forum for vent gaskets. there are pics of everything. gaskets can be had for 5 bucks or so from InlandRV. easy fix.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 03:05 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Thanks chuck,
Yes i have seen many posts about the vent pipe gasket but i didnt even think about it. Im gonna run out there right now and take a look at it.......
-Jason
Old 03-11-2004, 03:23 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
The installation instruction sheet for my zip-dee awning seems to indicate that the "awning rail" is installed by Airstream and is not part of the awning hardware package...is this correct?
Old 03-11-2004, 07:09 PM   #25
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Yes, The rail is installed at the factory for the main awning.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 07:15 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Thanks Kidd,
Wow I just read a post by someone that states his leak in the livingroom was comming from the vent pipe gasket. is the really possible? thats aloooong way but water does strange things.....
Old 03-11-2004, 09:39 PM   #27
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
jjonesnc,
The awning rail is typically is installed with the same type of bucked rivets that are used in the rest of the skin on the outside. UNLESS the rail was added by a dealer or replaced at sometime. In that case it will have an Olympic pop rivet instead. You proably need to try and remove as much caulk as possible and then check for loose rivets then recaulk. BTW another leak source that I have discovered is the dead bolt that is mounted just in front of the door. Mine had NO caulking anywhere near it, and leaks like crazy.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:58 AM   #28
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by jjonesnc
Wow I just read a post by someone that states his leak in the livingroom was comming from the vent pipe gasket. is the really possible? thats aloooong way but water does strange things.....
Once water gets inside it will find a way. There is a natural channel that runs bow to stern on each side of the roof. Once the water gets to that it can show up anywhere.

One way to find the leak is to have someone inside while someone else is outside spraying water on a 2 X 2 section of the trailer. Start at the top and work down. Stay on each spot for 5-10 minuets. This will allow you to verify where the leak is. It is too bad that the PO took the shotgun approach

Hope you find it/them. I have been down this road, it is not fun.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 03-12-2004, 06:23 AM   #29
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally posted by thenewkid64

Start at the top and work down. Stay on each spot for 5-10 minuets. This will allow you to verify where the leak is.
Hope you find it/them. I have been down this road, it is not fun.
Brett, It works better if you start at the bottom and work up,...the last time I checked water runs down hill

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 03-12-2004, 08:15 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Life in the gutter.

Quote:
Originally posted by thenewkid64

There is a natural channel that runs bow to stern on each side of the roof. Once the water gets to that it can show up anywhere.

I have been down this road, it is not fun.

"Natural Channel" ?? that is a new one to me. I ran a search with no viable results. Can not find any such in my manuals.??

Tell us more newkid64 !
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:23 AM   #31
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Stringers

I think Brett is referring to the stringer that runs the length of the roof. It is a channel shaped piece of metal.

You can see one in this photo. The channel is located right along the same line as the Awning rail, water gets into it and it runs the length of the roof and finds a hole, gravity kicks in and voila, water at the bottom
Attached Images

smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 06:40 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Hello Friends....

"re store"(r-stôr, -str)
:To bring back to an original condition: I.E. restore a building

Its always been my practice to use as much and as many parts there are still with /on the object being restored and only add "new" (anything that didnt come with the ...in this case...vehicle) equipment when stock items cant be found. When I see an antique or classic vehicle I want to see it in its birth form..... Sure ...wild retrofits/modifications are great but out of respect for any classic vehicle I try to never do anything that cant be undone and the vehicle can still be "restored" to its original design. Perhaps its my nostalgic view of the past or the desire to preserve the past and the present for future generations that makes me want to preserve............
OK ..........I know a 1980 model isnt what we all think of as a "classic" but its 25th birthday is comming up and the big 80 will hit the big-time and venture into the world of the elite "classic" status......after all, whats considered classic now will be considered antique in the future.

I'm, planning ahead here to keep the "gophering" to a minimum and wondering about the name and source of these brads used to join floor sections together as shown in the picture.
Also the source for the big flat phillips head screws used to attach the floor to the frame or any alternatives to these methods since they will not be readily seen.......

God Bless

-Jason
Old 03-12-2004, 06:43 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2004, 06:49 PM   #34
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Jason,
The corrugated thingy is available at your friendly lumber yard it is a corrugated fastener. The screws are speciality item, may be available at an industrial supply house or speciality supply like Fastenal. They are a 2-1/2" "tech 5" #12 fastener. If I locate a supplier I will share the information with the forum.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 03-12-2004, 09:27 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

JJonesnc:
You are not alone. The problems of rust and leaks has many of us wondering about the design itegrity of the AS. At this time I do not know how to attach a picture to this message, but if you check my pictures, you will find that I have exact same problem (except that mine are at all four corners). I have been repairing the floor rots and next (maybe during the summer) I'll get to the rusts. I beleive the best way is to open the underbelly and work from there. Let me know about your progress.
Cheers
Old 03-12-2004, 09:46 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
when I first bought the AS all I did was buy a .05cent retaining clip to fix the shower with and lived in it for 3 years.
The mildew got to me pretty bad tho finally.
For a 24 y/o camper its in really good shape. One doesnt find many if any campers besides Airstreams that have held up so well for their age. The thing about the leaks is that due to the way they are made the leaks are hard to detect untill you start working on something else and discover rotten floors.
At least thats how it happened with me............
Old 03-14-2004, 10:42 AM   #37
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Arron, You are right I posted the leak detection instructions BACKWARD

Ken, you interpreted correctly what I was trying to say, and not doing a good job at it. Thanks!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 03-15-2004, 06:10 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
hi friends,
whats the sealant on the window in this pic? Vulkem or Parbond?
Doesnt look like anyone has had any panels off before me so it must be factory...........
Thanks!
-Jason
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	window seam.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	5240  
Old 03-15-2004, 06:36 PM   #39
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Jason,

Should be Vulkem, the parbond is thinner. If you look around the vents and along the rub rails that is typically parbond. Vulkem is used to set windows, between panels and anywhere else a large amount of caulk is needed. Parabond is more for finishing and sealing small joints. From what I gather the factory is now using Silkaflex in as least some of the places it used to use Vulkem. Watch the names, they can be misleading all of them, vulkem, parbond, and sikaflex, make many different types of caulking.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 03-19-2004, 02:10 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Holding Tank Vent Gasket............

Other than the screen missing, this seal looks to be in great shape........i could barely get the cover off it was sealed so well.
Dont really see a problem here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vent seal.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	5307