Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Richardson , Texas
Carrying and securing Honda Generators

I intend to mount a receiver hitch on the front of my truck with a platform carrier to carry 2 Honda 2000i generators.

MY questions is, does anyone have suggestions on how to lock the gens. to the carrier or truck? Running a chain, etc through the carrying handle is not what I want to do because it wold be to easy to cut the plastic handle. I would like to have some way to mount them permently to the carrier if possible yet be able to remove them if needed. Thanks for any ideas.
'01 Yamaha Raptor ATV
'07 Yamaha Rhino ATV
2 burgler alarms: Rotweiller and Shepherd
"If you step down to get in, you have to step up to get out"
Raptorrider2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:14 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The idea I have is simple, but the execution may take a little explanation.
You can install a flat mount on the front of the truck for the generators to sit on, with a flat eye bolt extending from the bottom of the generator through the platform. You would use a flat steel bar under the platform with holes for the eyebolts to stick through, and a pair of padlocks to secure them.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
I used (hard to see in picture) some straps that crank to tighten - to keep our 3000i secured to the platform - so it did not shift around. I then used a bicycle lock with padlock to secure it to the TV frame - for security. Worked like a champ.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0183 (Small).JPG
Views:	1769
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	60905  
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Please pardon the roadkill on the generator - maybe a better picture of the straps and security...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0231 (Large).JPG
Views:	475
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	60906  
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:59 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Richardson , Texas
Overlander63- I thinnk I understand what you are saying but am wondering how to connect the gens. to the eyebolts? The 2000s don't have metal handles llike Nilesrob's 3000. The handles are plastic. I had also thought of some metal brackets similar to what A/S uses to hold down the battery. I like Nilesrob also but am concerned about someone just cutting the cable or lock. We were in Quartzite, Az. the past two Jan. and Feb. and stealing gens was rampant. I would put ours inside when we went to bed and that is a hassle. I would like to mount them permently enough that it will take some work to get them off in a hurry. Thanks to both of you for your input and pictures. I at least having a starting place now. Thanks again.
'01 Yamaha Raptor ATV
'07 Yamaha Rhino ATV
Old 05-24-2008, 09:30 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Make sure the airflow is not being restricted to your Duramax engine. This type of set up is apt to increase engine operating temperature.
Four Courners Unit
WBCCI # 2460 AIR # 17259
lsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:22 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorrider2001
Overlander63- I thinnk I understand what you are saying but am wondering how to connect the gens. to the eyebolts? The 2000s don't have metal handles llike Nilesrob's 3000.
Yes, I'm suggeesting running the eyebolts through the BOTTOM of the generators, rather than the handles. A thief would take a look at that, and try to find easier pickings. With the keys, you could unlock the padlocks and have the generators off the front of your truck in a couple of minutes.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:12 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Richardson , Texas
Got ya! Not sure how much room insite the little gens.there is. The bolts would have to go through the plastic with mabe a small piece of f;at metal to back up the nut and make it harder to just rip them through the plastic. I will pull the covers off and take a closer look. If it is like I am picturing it, the eye bolts would stick out the bottom of the gen. and Would need to sit on something while on the ground.
'01 Yamaha Raptor ATV
'07 Yamaha Rhino ATV
Old 05-24-2008, 06:41 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
newbie question

Just curious what the generators are there to power: is it so that you can have hot water and A/C while camped where there is no power to connect to?

Thanks,
Aage
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:57 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Richardson , Texas
Right. My water heater is gas only. I use the gens. for recharging the battery (1) and for running the a/c and microwave. Most of our camping is primitive.
'01 Yamaha Raptor ATV
'07 Yamaha Rhino ATV
Old 05-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Milton , Washington
Other than attaching the generator other than the front of the tow vehicle?
Kenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:28 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Richardson , Texas
Kenyon - Not sure what you are asking. Thanks
'01 Yamaha Raptor ATV
'07 Yamaha Rhino ATV
Old 05-29-2008, 06:06 PM   #13
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
I lock mine with a 6 ft motorcycle cable lock.Binetto Steel Cable Locks & Chain Locks: T-Series, P-Series, G-Series & S-Series - Binetto Gas Scooter Accessories - CBXManMotorcycles.com.
Then, I attach an alarm that activates when a pin is pulled out of it.

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:39 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Locking an i3000 Honda Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorrider2001
I intend to mount a receiver hitch on the front of my truck with a platform carrier to carry 2 Honda 2000i generators.

MY questions is, does anyone have suggestions on how to lock the gens. to the carrier or truck? Running a chain, etc through the carrying handle is not what I want to do because it wold be to easy to cut the plastic handle. I would like to have some way to mount them permently to the carrier if possible yet be able to remove them if needed. Thanks for any ideas.
Hi,

This may be more what you had in mind.

Name:	generator locks front view.jpg
Views:	1372
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	61326

Name:	generator locks side view.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	61327

I used stainless steel eye bolts to go through the bed of my truck; ya, it's an aluminum flat bed.

Then I bought a 3' section of 1/2" round steel. I then got the locks I wanted to use; drilled holes in the rods with my drill press. I had to use a larger drill on the hole opening on one side where the shackle goes into the rod in order to get the shackle far enough past the other side of the rod to actually lock into the body of the lock.

The rods go through the pieces of metal that the rubber feet of the generator are mounted too. This allows me to adjust how tightly the generator is held down using the nuts on the eye bolts.

Yes, someone could go under the truck and remove the nuts on the eye bolts that are on the inner portion of the generator. But, the outer rod eye bolts have a large box that has tools, etc., in it directly under them. In order to remove them the box would have to be removed; not possible without the box being open.

I took off the two handles on the generator so I could use an aluminum box to keep the generator out of the weather when not in use. It wasn't necessary to do this but I wanted a smaller foot print for the box and removing the handles saved 10+ inches in the space the box takes.

Hope this helps....

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:13 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Richardson , Texas
Nilesrob - What did you use for the corner markers? Seems like they need to be fairly stiff to keep them from bending when traveling. Thanks.
'01 Yamaha Raptor ATV
'07 Yamaha Rhino ATV
Old 06-05-2008, 05:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
With reference to the GMC/Chevy pickups with the Duramax, 4 wd, etc. - and especially the crew cab - beware of the capacity of the front suspension. It's marginal at best - at least for the 2003 model year! You would think that the beast could carry anything you wanted to on the front end - but I would advise weighing it first. You might be in for a big surprise! I don't have the numbers right in front of me but I recall that my truck has a reserve capacity on the front suspension of less than 400 lbs. when loaded for travel, with just my wife and I in the cab. Three additional passengers could cut into that even more.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:45 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
airflow

i too would be concerned about airflow to your engine on a hot road warrior day. how feasible would it be mounting your generators on a roof rack? you could even buy one of those fenders you see some truckers use to help streamline your already slick airstream and protect your hondas from the road kill ala nilesrob's setup.

then again after you've setup camp it may look goofy driving around with a couple of genny's on the roof because theyre a hassle to take down

what would wally do!?
elbundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:13 PM   #18
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
Lightbulb

Mounting the gennys on the roof is a bad idea. First of all, they are dense enough to possibly damage the roof. Second, this will raise the center of gravity of your truck and substantially increase the risk of rollover.

I also shuddered at the sight of the large generator completely covering the most important part of the grill. That's the last thing you need when towing.

There are good reasons to have the genny at the front of the truck, though. It is secure, and away from the trailer with its (minimal) noise and fumes. A 2000, or even a pair oriented correctly, might be a better fit than that refrigerator-door-looking 3000 right in front of the radiator.

I know this idea won't work on every TV, but my 1990 Suburban has cubic YARDS of space under the hood and under the rear. The gas tank would have to be dealt with, but think how secure a generator would be there!

Only downside is the fuel economy of this big old thing, like 10 gallons per mile.

The front of the TV is a great place, as long as the radiator gets its air.
For security around camp, I have several thick, non-cheap cables and good locks, and some chain for good measure. The nice thing about cable is, it bends and ruins all but the best bolt cutters! It has kept the quads and bikes safe so far. If I had a generator with plastic handles, I would figure out a way to have a lock hoop of some kind attached to the frame, or bolted deep inside under the covers. Most eyebolts are easy to bend, open, or snap the threads. Consider using a good alloy of bar stock, and case harden it after shaping. A top notch welder can do this easily.

-SilvrSausage

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:08 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Milton , Washington
Thanks all for answers to my incomplete question. The problems that occur are numerous and I have already lost a trailer hitch off my truck as it was not locked and I didn't want to lose my generator. Strapping and locking are the only solutions. Thanks
Kenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Shoreacres , Texas
Generator info

I have been thinking about a pair of Honda EU200i generators hooked up together to power my 2008 27 FB Intnl CCD. I have the 15,000 btu AC. I am wondering if that gives enough power to run everything at the same time?
Silvertherapy is offline   Reply With Quote