Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Phillips window hardware

I am looking for a replacement for a missing Phillips window opening and closing mechanism for my 68 Trade Wind.

I see parts for Hehr windows, but not much for Phillips.

The first two show what I do have in the back window, and the third one shows what is missing. I don't want to take apart the existing one to figure out why the plate is all that is left of the missing one.

Best regards,
Anne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phillips 1.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	58007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Phillips 2.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	58008  

Name:	Phillips 3.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	58009  
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Anne,

All of those operators have a plate at the base, and the operator rests on top of it, so in your third photo you're just missing the operator and crank. Don't be afraid to take these apart - I removed all of mine, gave them a good cleaning, and re-attached them with some new screws. Post-cleaning, they operated much smoother. Sorry, I don't know of any place that makes replacements for these (if you find something, let us know!) but keep an eye out for people parting out trailers. Good luck!
Old 04-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Phillips parts.

We have the barrel nuts, the crank handles, and the window clips.

We no longer have the stainless steel edging for the glass.

The tooling for the part that reaches out broke, many years ago.

The estimated cost to duplicate the original tooling, was estimated to be over $20,000.00.

Anyone want to participate with that cost?

I don't.

Sales potential would be about 10 to 20 pieces, per year.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
I too did an intensive search trying to find these part and the company, but to no avail. We arent missing any, they just were all rusty. My husband took them all off and sanded, primed, and painted them and now they look new. I will continue to try and help look for them with you, I would like to get a few just in case. Good luck on your hunt! Please keep us posted if you find any.
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Cool Thanks

Thanks, Mel, Andy, John, and Sandy. I'll be looking and will post back when I find.

Did anyone check Colaw's already?

You know, I'm so close to Jackson Center, maybe someone over there has some spares and I can make a fun scooter trip over from Indy.

Does anybody know the password or secret sign for getting conversation going with AS factory service? I'm apparently not approaching with the right obeisance. Not for niggling little things like these mechanisms, but big things like air conditioners and skin replacement.

I hope this does not come across as flaming, I am simply trying to spend a lot of money with the people who made the trailer.

Anne
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAnne
Thanks, Mel, Andy, John, and Sandy. I'll be looking and will post back when I find.

Did anyone check Colaw's already?

You know, I'm so close to Jackson Center, maybe someone over there has some spares and I can make a fun scooter trip over from Indy.

Does anybody know the password or secret sign for getting conversation going with AS factory service? I'm apparently not approaching with the right obeisance. Not for niggling little things like these mechanisms, but big things like air conditioners and skin replacement.

I hope this does not come across as flaming, I am simply trying to spend a lot of money with the people who made the trailer.

Anne
We purchased almost all the pre 1969 parts that Airstream had in inventory, including the segments, some 15 years ago.

Part of that included all the Phillips parts that was left, which was very little.

Since then, we have added many parts for the vintage trailers, including some that no one else has.

I doubt that the factory can help you very much with any of the original items for your Airstream.

Andy
Old 06-21-2008, 09:45 AM   #7

1967 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
Ann,
I too have been searching for the elusive Phillips "draw latch" (sounds good to me). A few months back I was at the local annual RV show and noticed the closure system on new Air Streams. I appeared the window clip and latch on the new A/S model could readily fit our needs on the 66-68 models. I understand the OEM window's on my '67 tradewind are 3/32". Could someone tell me the width on the new A/S windows and has any one tried this? To the purists I know this is a no no but it just might be better than not being able to close the windows at all.

gene
Old 07-03-2008, 06:22 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
rembert , South Carolina
window hinge??

I just dug about 2 tubes of silicone out my bedroom window only to find out why it was there. Is there anywhere I can get the piece that holds the window in place? Thank you
cnsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Last year there was an ebay ad for the hardware that you have pictured. The gentleman had a 'donor' trailer that he was selling parts from. The 6 or so window clips sold for $80 plus each. I bid on a couple of them so that I would have a spare for mine. When the bidding went over what I thought was too much I stopped. 80 bucks sounds cheap now. I now take REALLY good care of mine.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:02 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Conover , Ohio
Name these Philips parts

Does anyone know the real names of the parts for the Philips window thingies? I would feel better asking about the different parts if I knew what they are really called. Starting with the whole thing, I will guess a "window lock", then starting top left and going clockwise, a "cover", a "base plate", a "handle", a "barrel and screw", and finally a "retainer"???

Oh well, I do feel pretty lucky since there are 15 of these gizmos in the 66 Overlander I am restoring and I am only short a few pieces. I have all the base plates and covers, but I am short about 4 of the retainers (bottom left), 2 handles, and 3 barrel and screw assemblies. Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks, TomE
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2927.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	1,006.7 KB
ID:	66242  
air66stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by air66stream View Post
Does anyone know the real names of the parts for the Philips window thingies? I would feel better asking about the different parts if I knew what they are really called. Starting with the whole thing, I will guess a "window lock", then starting top left and going clockwise, a "cover", a "base plate", a "handle", a "barrel and screw", and finally a "retainer"???

Oh well, I do feel pretty lucky since there are 15 of these gizmos in the 66 Overlander I am restoring and I am only short a few pieces. I have all the base plates and covers, but I am short about 4 of the retainers (bottom left), 2 handles, and 3 barrel and screw assemblies. Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks, TomE
These are the only Phillips parts that are still in existance.

We have all of those pictured in stock.

Bar arms, operator, operator handle, window clip, "E" ring, barrel nut, steel linkage bar.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	phillips.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	66324  
Old 09-09-2008, 10:15 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Conover , Ohio
So I made my own

Since I can't find a source for this Philips window part (I still do not know the official name) I ended up making it myself. I used .013 annealed spring steel only because I found a small piece I got for free. The original is .015 which I hope to get soon. Once I get my bending jig done, I should be able to crank them out pretty quick. This (on the left) is only my second "prototype", but it looks pretty close to the original next to it, and best of all, IT WORKS! Now if I could just find the threaded part that goes into the barrel nut!!! TomE
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2965.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	881.4 KB
ID:	67167  
Old 09-10-2008, 04:48 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Thumbs up

Very well done.
You are a talented guy. That used to be the American way..if you can't find it ..make it.
What equipment did you need to do that?
Also why is spring steel superior in that application?

as for the threaded piece could you possibly find an old faucet stem and adapt it by cutting off and threading one end?

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:32 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
TomE, You build it and America and beyond will buy it. Keep us informed of this wonderful project that you have started. It may turn into a lucrative past-time for you.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Conover , Ohio
work in progress

Thanks Drummer, I pounded one of my parts flat to get a pattern, then used a bench vise and anything else it took to get the bends I needed. I am working on a jig so I can make all the bends at the proper points easily. I picked up two different types of spring steel from a local machine shop (I think he felt sorry for me). The first one was too brittle and snapped when I went to make the 90 degree bend on the end of the part. The annealed steel must be a bit softer and more formable because it worked great. This part is basically a spring if you watch how it works. Any other steel would just bend and give up. And I do have a friend at a machine shop working on the screw part as well.

Silver!! Is America going to beat a path to my door?? I better sweep the front hall, LOL

TomE
Old 09-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
TomE,

I'll take 9

Thank you,
Tedd : o )
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #17
Vintage Trailer Supply
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Montpelier , Vermont
Smile

We hope to have complete reproduction Phillips sill latches available late this winter. We have had all pieces redrafted and are currently working with one of our favorite manufacturers to get pricing. If anyone has already produced one of the components, please let me know so we can determine whether it would be more cost-effective to skip that part of the assembly. I can be reached at the office at 800-644-4620 x2.
WBCCI #1573
VintageRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:09 PM   #18

1965 17' Caravel
Creston , Iowa
window latches for my 66 caravel

Did any one successfully repop he screw part of the winow locks on the phillips locks ,,,I see a couple of you said you might be able to make them last winter .. thanks
rook440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:27 AM   #19
Vintage Trailer Supply
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Montpelier , Vermont
We are a couple months away, still. But we are definitely doing this project. We'll post a message here as soon as they are ready. It will be the entire mechanism and will look and operate very much like the original.
WBCCI #1573
VintageRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Thanks Vintage RV. I'll be looking forward to this.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote