Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
Finally a few ski trip pics

I know - long overdue, but here are a few pics from beore the trip - just hours after last work was completeled and a few hours before leaving for Steamboat in December
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ext01.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	54445   Click image for larger version

Name:	ext02.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	54446  

Name:	int01.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	54447   Click image for larger version

Name:	int02.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	54448  

Name:	int03.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	54449   Click image for larger version

Name:	int04.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	54450  

Name:	arrived04.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	54451   Click image for larger version

Name:	arrived01.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	54452  

Name:	arrived02.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	54453   Click image for larger version

Name:	arrived03.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	54454  

nunya001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
_

. , .
'bout time nunya'

very COOL!

love the minimalist look and shine.

hey did you have any issues with condensation?

how much lp gas did you go through?

with that much reflection, u likely melted all the snow around the unit

thanks for the pix!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
2Air - I did owe some pics - have more, but will do a better job putting together before I post. LP - about 1 tank every 4-5 days. I was adequately warned about condensation prior to leaving and got some good advice from a guy in his 7th year of FT AS living who I met there. The fleece curtains made a big difference, running the exhaust fan, also ran a small ceramic heater towards the back that produces a very dry heat - I did get some at night, very minimal though - and it was gone by the time I got back from skiing every day. I am going to make a few small adjustments for next year's ski trip, but overall very happy.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
_

. , .
good info!

the pooch looks happy too.

THIS is a bachelor pad on wheels

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
WOW!--can you say minimalistic!--Im diging the long stainless countertop nunya! wherever did you find them?

Looks like you added a table and something else on the other side [cant quite make it out from the pics]---

Howd you ever come up with such a clean simple design nunya? I dig it!------jim
jamesardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #6
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
are you camped at the river?--are you running the furnace exhaust into the space under the trailer? whats with the fleece curtains?

are they what stops the glass from condensing?---inquiring minds want to know
jamesardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
Thanks Jim - tables are available from any restaurant supply distributor. Yes, I created a small open topped heatbox to redirect exhaust energy safely and put the heat to good use - 14 dollars at Ace. Fleece curtains are key to keeping warm and dry in negative 20 degrees. I did set up a complete high top workstation/desk on the other side. Getting ready to build some simple shlves between that and the fridge. What you don't see is that behind the fridge there is a hanger bar for coats,etc. . . that keeps the space feeling uncluttered. How'd I come up with it? I'd say its been evolving in my head for 5 or 6 years. When I started I had a pretty clear vision, then the functional requirements of the trailer helped hone some ideas and modify others. Also, I designed and crafted this for me and my dog to be comfortable - other people are only guests. I own a design company and this was a great project to do on a lot of levels. Still working on the details with the knowlede I've gained.Most actual work and custom fab was done by a guy in Fayetteville - Todd Coleman who is a great craftsman - I think I will begin another onewith him in the next couple of months. Thanks again.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
Sorry to fracture my posts - but this forum was the source of SO much important information - from condensation tips to heat tape, tank heaters. . . the list goes on. Just wanted to give credit and appreciation where it is due.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Details please

Hi nunya,
I really like you approach to the remodel of that A/S !
Hence, I would really, really like to know more about the reasoning behind it, about constuction/design details and about the "lessons learned" after your first road trip(s) - like e.g.:
"Do the "stuff boxes" stay on the shelves while travelling in the mountains (--> switchbacks) ?"

Please excuse (and ignore - if need be) my couriosity
Thanx in advance for hopefully upcoming info!

M
memartinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:53 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
M - will give a more detailed response later. But a quick part of my answer is - yes, boxes and baskets are secured to the SS tables with a simple tension strap and stay put nicely. Same with hanging coats, desk chair etc, , , ,
Old 02-17-2008, 08:55 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
M- here's a more complete answer. The conceptual impetus for my remodel is based on years of design experience and personal preference. Design that transcends time and is adaptable to evolving requirements has recognizable and definitive elements of simplicity at the core. Achieving simplicity is more complicated than we think. We have to be able to abandon what we thought we loved and what we were confident was so right in order to work on ideas that are better. I did that with this project –also, time, money and molecular reality demanded it. I love clean spaces and traditional RVs are 10 pounds of shi_t stuffed into a 5 pound bag. This trailer is not meant to mimic my house – the notion that the industry tries to emulate a traditional residence is completely absurd. Also relevant, as mentioned before, is that I built this for me and my dog to be comfortable, not anyone else. I don’t at dinner with a family of 4 every night – I do it with one or 2 people – and we do it in a way that is comfortable to us, not within a Wally & Beaver paradigm. So when you eliminate the noise of consensus, the impossible task of pleasing everyone and the convention of tradition – the possibilities of your project expand and become exciting and also challenging. If you’re not snoozing by the end o this post I’ll answer the design details and lessons learned parts soon.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:12 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
FAYETTEVILLE , Arkansas
Great job. Good philosophy.
gyandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
N: Your Airstream reflects your web site - clean, clear, functional and adaptable. Champagne powder, not fluff. I like your approach.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:24 AM   #14
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
nunya,
I really like your design and the unique approach to "your space". I probably just missed it, but do you have a stove or some other means for food prep?
Old 02-18-2008, 06:57 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
Thanks 47 - looking at your pics it seems like you have the beginning of an AS collection. Nohill - I have two portable butane stove top burners that cook better than the redicoulous Viking Professional we have at home, (btw - easy to clean and completely stable with no rattles) I also have an electric toaster oven and best of all a small 'Big Green Egg' which is my cooking apparatus of choice.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:02 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
Ok - here are a few things I learned. I am an idiot for not installing radiant heat floors. I am almost tempted to take it all apart to do it. Another area I didn't pay enough attention to was the window seals/gaskets - my windows function great, but not even close to air tight. That is being dealt with right now - if anyone has any recs on suppliers of vintage seals please let me know. Will post more later.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:05 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
FAYETTEVILLE , Arkansas
Inland RV. They are a great source
gyandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:08 AM   #18
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Nunya-very cool AS and very cool that you use it for skiing (which we would lke to do). We have a couple of practical questions;

Are you camping with hookups?
How do you deal with the freezing temps and water hookup?

How do you expect to maintain that shine after driving through snow/salt/crap...I can 't help thinking; even if we could work around the previous issues (yes I know, a genset and use internal water tank only) it would take the rest of the summer to clean off all the road salt!

Thanx, Bill
Old 02-18-2008, 09:46 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
Hey Bill - Thanks. I did camp with hook ups this year, but next year I may not. In a month of skiing I only had to empty my tank 4 times and only filled fresh water 4 times. You can very easily do a water hook up instead of tankuse - but you need heat tape and you need to set it up right the first time. Ok - let me qualify that - all of my plumbing is inside and gets radiant heat from a duct that runs from the furnace underneath the tables, around the back of the shower and comes out underneath the bathroom sink. As far as shine - I'm a total newbie and I don't have an answer based on experience. The polishing was only finished 2 days before I left - so no wax or any other protection was applied. Now parts have to be buffed out again, not the full grind, but still need work. Knowing what I know now. . . I will definitely make sure a protective wax is applied, (any more robust suggestions are welcome)I will give it a rince before I park it for the duration of my ski vacation and prior to any highway driving I will apply a clear adhesive that is similar as to what is used on new cars for open trailer transport - like a windshield tear off. I do some road racing, etc. . . lot's of good ideas and knowledge in that area can be applied here.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:04 AM   #20
Certifiable

. , .
Cool trailer!

More pics please! of powda if you have 'em

I'm sooo close to getting an Egg. I was thinking med (family of 3). Is small all you really need?

I'd love to see the refrig/closet setup a little more closely too.

Thanks