Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2007, 05:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

How the forum has changed over the years.

As I look back over five years and a thousand posts on this forum I notice how much the forum has changed in that time. Back in 2002/3 just how many posts did we average each day? Well, I certainly read every post then, and absorbed what knowledge I could from each one, and contributed where I could. Bacause the numbers of posts were so small, the forum had a feeling of being a group of enthusiasts, chatting round a camp fire. There would be a hot "current topic", and this would be discussed at length by the regular contributors. Over the past five years there has been such an increase in traffic that I no longer get this feel about the forum. I cannot justify spending the time it would take to follow each post, so I now just check "new posts" for any titles that interest me, and read those. I know I miss much of interest, as I sometimes come across old threads that I would like to have read. I suppose this is an inevitable consequence of success, and I feel lucky to have become a member soon after the inauguration of the forum. Do others have different solutions for keeping abreast of current important topics?
We certainly have a great forum, and many thanks to our moderators for their intelligent and balanced efforts.
Nick.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:02 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Congratulations on post number 1000!

Everything changes! Sometimes for the better, sometimes not. The forums are not perfect, but a lot of valuable information can be learned here. I also look at the new posts and weed out the things I don't care about and focus on the things I do.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:11 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I am on several other forums and e-groups relating to my other interests such as antique cars and kayaking. These groups are very good, but not nearly as active as Airforums.com. The activity level that we have on these Forums is both bad and good. Bad, as nickcrowhurst says, in that it is difficult to follow the strings of interest, much less everything that is going on. Good in that there is a wealth on information here that is not found on any other e-group that I am aware of.

I think that I prefer this group the way it has become. The good far outweighs the bad.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Congrats!

Congrats on post #1000!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hey Nick,

Nice going on 1000! Congrats.........

BTW, I have found a lot of your posts to be very precise, right on topic and full of great info. Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Good morning Nick. Remember the detailed discussions on best brake controllers? And the personalities who were around at the start? I highly appreciate your contributions and know the read will be worth my time when I see your username. Congrats on 1,000 -- you've packed a lot into every one! Karma thanks on its way.

3 weeks tomorrow? See you for lunch!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:48 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Not having been around the Forum when it started, I don't know exactly how it was - but I have been in on the start of others and can imagine how this one worked. It must be fun to have seen it grow into what it has become.
I've gotten started very recently with the AirForums having been looking for an AS for a couple of months. What I have learned about 'streamin' in that time (from the Forums) is absolutely astounding! I can compare it with the time my wife and I decided to take up boating on the Great Lakes - having never been on a boat. We both took the public courses on boating and I continued with the special courses on boating electronics, maintenance, navigation, etc...but I'd never turned the keys and started a boat! We eventually purchased a 37' twin engine power boat that we cruised on over 1,000 hours each summer on Lakes Erie, Huron and Michigan. What a great three years!! But we learned everything by course work and seat of the britches over time. Here, I've learned so much from the Forums. What a great resource! I've got my TV, I've selected my hitch (down to one of two), and we've selected the AS we want - now we just have to find it!!
Thanks to all for their wonderful gifts of information sharing. I often wish I had the information to share with everyone - for payback. I can only say that I think the FORUMS are incredible. I get a little tired of some bad attempts at humor but the information is often "right on", informative and highly regarded.
See you down the road..........
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:50 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Nick,

Congratulations on 1000 posts.

I joined the air forums early in 2002 and I have a low member number of 307. I miss some of the early contributors. I know some of them continue to visit the forums because I periodically check their profiles. I try to spend about the same amount of time as I did early on, however I can only visit limited threads. There is so much that I pass on.

I do appreciate some of the improvements made to the software. I really like the threads that are Unit Specific to our NEU. With these threads, I can put a face to post and even enjoy some of the NEU levity.

As with life, the family has grown and changed. We must adapt to the change if we are to continue with the success of the AirForums.

Mark
Old 10-30-2007, 09:37 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
I am fairly new to this forum as well. Never even had a travel trailer before. Indeed the amount of information is quite overwhelming at first - it takes some creative search work but the results are well worth it. Amazing amount of experience here!

I use and participate in forums alot - what stands out the most to me here are the people. Few rants and flames - just good folks willing help newbies and old hands alike.

............Scott
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
When I pulled my half gutted GlobeTrotter out from behind a barn 7 years ago I had no idea of what it would have originally looked like or how it could be restored. The only source of information seemed to be a collection of 20 odd sites on this new thing called the Airsteam Web Ring.
The mistakes I made from lack of info still glare at me from time to time.
Now I check in nearly every day just to see the hot topic and wouldn't consider starting a new project without searching to see how it was done before. What an evolution. Thanks to all who contribute.
BTW. Is there any quick way to find your first post? Might be interesting to look back and see how much of a newbie I was.

Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:15 AM   #11
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nugler
BTW. Is there any quick way to find your first post? Might be interesting to look back and see how much of a newbie I was.

Tom.
Found this on your list of posts, way back in '03!
Old 10-30-2007, 10:17 AM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I first got into Airstreaming in 2001 which was prior to these forums. The only place I could seem to find anything was a forum on Compuserve that was directed to RV's. My early questions brought nothing but negativism towards Airsteams and could have potentially turned me away.

I instead found the Hunter Hampton Yahoo list serve and my early Airstream interests were fostered there. I think Andy R even visited that site and posted initially that he was developing something different that was more than just a list serve or repository of linear posts. I don't believe Hunter liked the competition and gave Andy a somewhat cold shoulder.

I had no idea that this site would ever develop into what it has today. Hats off to all of the members since it's your postings that make this site what it is today!

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:33 AM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think this site is fantastic BECAUSE of the high level of activity! Have a question? It will be answered in minutes (if not seconds). What more could you want when you're elbow deep in some fix and don't remember the next step. I have other forums I visit where it could take a week to get an answer - by then I'll have figured it out myself!

Of course, as the forums change, so do the people in it. I started out with all the usual hitch questions, how to pick a tow vehicle, what to look for in a trailer, how to fix that trailer, and now I just want to know great places to camp. Some people go back and get a second trailer and repeat! So everyone is at a different place in their journey, from having finished a shell-off resto, to having just discovered that Airstreams are still being made. I think there's room for everyone here!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Forums Appriciation

Nick:
You seem somewhat melancholy about what the Forums have become. Judging by some of the responses to your post, your early involvement helped to make these pages as valuable as they are to us newer folks. Because I have been at my job for over 30 years, I know that change can be difficult to accept. I question the attitude of some of our younger folks while at the same time I marvel at, and know that I will miss the great majority of good people I have worked with. I was introduced to Airforums 2 ½ years ago when we bought our 345. My wife found the site and immediately started mining it for information. Along the way she got to know some very helpful people via the net. Eventually this led to our attending a Forums Rally. After our second rally, I started to pay attention and to post on these pages. What has resulted is a great deal of knowledge and more importantly a number of people that we consider friends. We attended the Balloon Rally in New Mexico earlier this month and met a whole new group. When I arrived home from work this morning I found that one of the couples that we met sent us a DVD filled with pictures from the event, and two Hawaiian print shirts, just because they matched the interior of our coach. I don’t know how to place a value on knowing these kinds of people. So while I can’t follow all of the threads, and I have certainly posted a bunch of silliness with my new friends, I appreciate that this site has developed the way that it has and look forward to more of the same. Ron PS: title should read Forums Appreciation
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:31 PM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Nick has been around a bit longer than myself. I can say that ALL of his posts that I have read have been a quality contribution to the forums. The forum has changed a lot over the past couple of years. It has gone from a smaller group of "friends" to a large community. Kind of like the difference between a neighborhood and a small city, if you will. It is difficult to keep up with all the posts now. I belong to several forums both large and small, they each have advantages. There are many members that when they post, regardless of the topic I will want to read what they have to say. Nick has been one of them.

Congratulations on you 1,000th post!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
it IS tough to keep up. i used to practically live on the forums but now it's just a bunch of people i don't know. but hey, it's chat night! maybe i'll do my AutoCAD homework here at the computer between 8 & 9!
Old 10-30-2007, 06:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Nick,

Great job on your one thousandth post! Always enjoy you contributions.

. . . . and Bob, congratulations on number 5000! I joined a few days after you did, and I've always appreciated your steady hand on the tiller.

I have to agree that the forums aren't as intimate and personal as they were four years ago. Back then it seemed you knew everyone, and enjoyed the give and take. Especially on topics like polishing. That thread went on forever!

There are lots of members I miss. They've dropped out, moved on, or otherwise just didn't have much more to say. (I should follow their example) It does get a little circular sometimes, seems like we've said the same things a dozen times before.

But it's still worth the time to log on and read some of the threads. There are still little gems of wisdom, they just come further apart.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:53 PM   #18
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Congratulations! We have benefitted from your posts on various fixes, especially the door hinge problem. Kudos!
Old 10-30-2007, 07:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
of course SOME things never change. trying to get into the chatroom but java appears to be broken either there or on my machine.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:36 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Nick -- Congratulations on your 1000 posts!

Here is a classic example of one of your fine, in-depth threads that made me pause last year:
Load distribution hitches-an analysis (which should be required reading for all newbies!):

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464/load-distribution-hitches-analysis-19236.html

Thank you for your continued support and enthusiasm for these forums.

We are still a group of enthusiasts… it’s just that there are more campfires now!

SilverGate
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote