Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Talking At Last - new Safari SE

We are not really new to the forum but our long awaited dream is finally a reality.

We took delivery of a 20' 2008 Safari SE on May 1, from Weekley Motors RV in Owosso, Michigan. The Weekleys were wonderful to deal with. The trailer came exactly as ordered. There were no hidden charges and they beat prices from all over the country. Their RV tech, Randy, set up the hitch and gave my husband (we are truly neophites) a real education on hitches, brake controllers and RVing in general.

Yes I know my profile says 2007 20' Safari SE - but ours is really a 2008 - the profile did not let me choose a 2008 model year.

I like the new floor, think it will be quite servicible and it looks just fine. The new cabinet hardware is a huge improvement, no snagging your clothes on the handles all the time. The Bathroom door handle is now recessed.

Our TV is a 2007 1/2 ton GMC Sierra and we are using a Reese Dual Cam hitch with 600# bars.

Now we have a couple of questions.

We are in the process of fillilng out all the warranty registrations and are wondering if we should purchaase the extended warranty on the Parallax Power Supply, R.V. Converter.

Also is it worth the money to purchase the extended warranty on the Atwood 6 gallon L.P. gas water heater, inner tank, and the Atwood Hydro Flame furnace, combustion chamber? The extended warranty gives us an additinal three years making it a five year warranty.

What are peoples experience with these appliances?
uluwene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
geary , Oklahoma
nice ,i am going on monday to check out a few and hope to have one soon.
looks like a nice setup..
waynemorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:37 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Congratulations on your new baby!!!!!!!!!!

We need to see some baby pictures. A 2008, WOW!!!!!!!!!
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Welcome to the 20' Safari SE club We got the exact same hitch setup -- works wonderfully, and the trailer is great.

I'm keen to see these snag-free galley handles -- may have to replace my own bath door handle, which really sticks out!

My latest improvement on the Safari was to put foam pipe insulation around all the PEX plumbing under the twin sinks, and add a JABSCO water accumulator tank just after the pump output under the stove. Blissfully quiet water!

Word to the wise: open the upper exterior refrigerator vent panel -- both are well covered by the goor when latched open -- and carefully examine the lower sill. You'll want to verify that plenty of caulking was applied before the aluminum tape was placed at the joint at the bottom center, where the vent panel latches in place. Our's did not, which acts as a natural water drain. (The refrigerator plug/GCFI junction is directly below this point between the exterior/interior walls!)

Congrats on the fun floor plan -- the two of us and our two dogs really love this "pod". Enjoy!

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by uluwene
Yes I know my profile says 2007 20' Safari SE - but ours is really a 2008 - the profile did not let me choose a 2008 model year.
A moderator can request the admin folks to make this change. I saw your post and the admins are on the ball tonight I guess!

I'd rather congratulate you! You couldn't be prouder parents!! Nice larger pic in your public profile too.

Extended warranties have been discussed. They are a big money maker for auto and RV dealers, Best Buy, and on and on. Why? Because they charge you more for the extended warranty than the average owner will need in repairs. You have a 2 year warranty on the new Airstream -- if a part is not up to the task it will fail before 2 years of regular use. If it holds up for that 2 years I'd say (pick a number) 98% will continue to work beyond the extended warrany period. Therefore the recommendation for most extended warranty question is for you to 'self insure.' It would be an unlucky break to have to repair something but you'll spend a lot less across all your purchases if you decline all extended warranties. Members have actually posted about common wear and tear repairs that aren't covered by the extended warranty.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I'm 19 months into ownership of my Safari and have an appointment with Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, IA, this week to continue minor warranty issues when they couldn't get a couple parts before snow flew last fall. I've been very happy. Being happy with a dealer is good too -- and having them accessible is important for warranty repair (ie, not buying at lowest cost from 3-4 states away!). Start making a list. Some things will shake apart a bit and only show up after a fair number of road trips.

Another word of advice is to take a socket set and go under your Safari and check all hex-head screws holding the B.A.L. stabilizers to the frame. Another 2005 owner raised the flag that the factory was over-torquing these on installation. I had one screw with the head twisted off and three that had stripped their holes in the frame. It would be good to get a report back that all of yours (and other new owners') B.A.L. stabilizers are applied competently.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 05-07-2007, 06:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Nancy,

Congrats on your new baby!

I do a lot of work for extended warranty holders and from what I've seen, unless your component has a major failure and needs replacement, the cost is NOT justified! As Bob said, everything in your Airstream is covered by their 2 year warranty, and several components like your air conditioner and refrigerator (Dometic) are covered by their 3 year warranty! Water heater tanks and furnace combustion chambers RARELY go bad in a 5 year period.

In my humble opinion, I think you'll be wasting your $$$$ for the extension.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:14 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
new 2008 features

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats
Welcome to the 20' Safari SE club We got the exact same hitch setup -- works wonderfully, and the trailer is great.

I'm keen to see these snag-free galley handles -- may have to replace my own bath door handle, which really sticks out!

Cheers,
-jd.
Here are some pictures of our new baby.

One shows our first camping site at the dealership. There are intereior shots of the new flooring, new bathroom door handle, new galley handles, new silver dry mark board and the new under cabinet lights.

I need to take some more pictures of the interior with brighter lighting to show the Silver Dog House to best advantage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	first camp site - at dealer.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	37065   Click image for larger version

Name:	bathroom handles.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	37066  

Name:	new floor.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	37067   Click image for larger version

Name:	new galley handles.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	37068  

Name:	new lights.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	37069   Click image for larger version

Name:	silver dry erase board.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	37070  

Old 05-08-2007, 08:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Very Nice, I like the flush door handle. Congrats
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:15 PM   #10
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
*great* name: Silver Dog House -- that's how our pups see ours, too!

That flush handle is terrific, I have got to get me one of those!

I totally dig the under-lights. Much better than what I have. Do you have two mounted in the bath? I do, and both seem to be flexed a bit so the diffusers won't stay put. Do the newer ones solve the problem?

NICE.

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:49 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
jd,

Yes there are two of those lights in the bathroom mounted flush on the curved silver ceiling, but in our about 50 mile ride home on two lane blacktops, some better than others, the lenses stayed put.

Got a couple of pictures of the interior and included one of us on the way home - or at any rate a picture of the Silver Dog House following White One home.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of the "new" smell faster? We really can't leave the trailer windows wide open because we have to park it close to, and on the down wind side of a dirt road.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dinette.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	37081   Click image for larger version

Name:	galley.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	37082  

Name:	on the way home.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	37083  
Old 05-08-2007, 01:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by uluwene
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of the "new" smell faster? We really can't leave the trailer windows wide open because we have to park it close to, and on the down wind side of a dirt road.
This has been discussed before -- here, here and here. I'd pay more attention to the first thread unless somebody was exceptionally sensitive to new construction smells. More of the smell is from the plastics in my opinion. It's less significant in actual use where you'd have the windows open in the summer. It definitely drops off in a couple months and is nearly insignificant the 2nd season.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 05-08-2007, 01:50 PM   #13
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
I forgot to compliment the floor covering: neat pattern.

One of my mods was to install a battery monitor. I did this work in preparation of installing solar, the components of which I've yet to decide on

The other two big-bang-for-your-buck improvements was to replace the noisy refer fan and install a water accumulator tank. Both are easy, and provide big satisfaction.

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:30 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
thank you Canoe Stream and 5cats
Old 05-08-2007, 03:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
This has been discussed before -- here, here and here. I'd pay more attention to the first thread unless somebody was exceptionally sensitive to new construction smells. More of the smell is from the plastics in my opinion. It's less significant in actual use where you'd have the windows open in the summer. It definitely drops off in a couple months and is nearly insignificant the 2nd season.
Hi Uluwene and congratulations. I want that door handle!
I started that first thread CanoeStream mentioned and should have done a follow-up. I agree with his take on it. The odors were from the "newness" and all the plastic. We started airing it out regularly whenever the weather was nice, and apparently the warmer days we had early in the spring really sped up the "off-gassing" process, because now the odors aren't noticeable at all. You might try to at least keep the shower and bath vents up, as well as opening the fan and bedroom vents. We opened all the windows and the door as well. I found that trying to mask the odors just made a fumey soup.
Have fun!
Janet
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Roadside Awning

Notice on the 2008 20' Safari there is a awning on the roadside for the windows. Is this standard or is it optional - and if optional what was the cost? I just searched the Airstream site but like last year it is worthless as far as the 20' Safari goes. There is no listing under specifications or options.
Have a 2007 20' and might want to get mine upgraded if it doesn't cost a arm and a leg.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:12 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs up

Great lookin' coach. Congrats....now get out there and use it!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:44 PM   #18
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU
Notice on the 2008 20' Safari there is a awning on the roadside for the windows. Is this standard or is it optional - and if optional what was the cost?
That would be the optional awning package. We ordered this option with with our 2007 20' Safari, which included the rear plus roadside awnings. The curbside awning is standard.

We paid $750 for the optional awning package, about half the list price (there was a "misunderstanding" between the saleman and the dealership owner, resulting in the reduced price.)

Rear & roadside awnings deployed:

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:53 PM   #19

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I really like theflush door handle. I've caight a belt loop in our bathroom door handle more than once.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:54 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
20 Ft. Safari

Congratulation's on your new trailer. We have the same unit (07 version) and Love it.
We have camped in it twice and find the layout to work real well.The kitchen and bathroom have been a real plus.
We have had No Warranty issues to date.
We leave for a 2500-3000 mile trip in a week and will really get to try it out.
Hope you get to use your's soon!
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote