Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2007, 09:06 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Harlan , Kentucky
Thanks for the advice. I am going to ask all your opinions on this one. I am considering selling this Argosy for one that is ready to go. I have seen one that I am considering. (a minuet) The argosy I currently own has been at the RV place for a month plus when I get it back I have more work plus getting it painted and new cushions. If I get this other one It is going to cost more of course. So if I decide to sell I would not get it painted or the cushions covered. I am concerned because I have no idea what I could sell my Argosy for? I currently have 5- 6 thousand in it. Could I even get close to that??The new airconditioner alone was 650 plus another 100 for a part they had to oder from Airstream. Do dents or bumps take away much value? It looks good and straight except the back top panel of the trailer has some bumps and extends down some. Thanks.
Denise M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:51 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
glen ellyn , Illinois
Send a message via MSN to lilmouse Send a message via Yahoo to lilmouse
Denise-
I have been trying to read through this thread (but my 5 yr old keeps interupting me) and I have similar feelings too.
After you have invested a lot of blood, sweat, tears, money, time, and energy into a project, one must wonder if it's worth it.
My Argosy needs a lot of work, as a matter of fact, my husband and I composed a list a couple of months ago. We were trying to figure out what was important and where to start. So I can really relate to what you are saying.
I think, for me, I had to consider- am I really ready to face the fact whether or not it is reasonable to keep/upkeep or fix what needs to be done in the trailer. what kind of value does the trailer have to me? would I be better off letting my trailer go and move on? and how dead set am I to be stubborn enough to let my family influence my decision, they seem to think i need a trailer other than an airstream.
another thought is if you buy new, you pay for the payments. sure, everything works and it's road ready, but the payments could be within your personal budget. or buy used. you end up paying in repairs what you could have done the same with payments on a new model.
maybe it is more relateable in this way: I flooded my '05 chevy malibu last october. until that incident, I would swear chevy's were the only cars I would ever own. i had to use my insurance money from my malibu towards another vehicle. my husband came across a '93 gmc jimmy, we ended up buying. once i drove the jimmy, i was in love. two months later, i needed a new engine, transmission, belts, and other stuff. the truck was $2000, repairs were over $5000. was it worth spending all that money? only my husband would know because if you asked me now, i would never give up my jimmy.
i think it just depends on how you feel. good luck in your decision, i know it's not an easy one to make. buying a trailer isn't like anything cheap to do either. i'll be following this thread.
if i was to give up my argosy, i would probably buy a late 80's/early 90's trailer. but that's just me.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:56 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Harlan , Kentucky
I have decided to keep my Argosy and redo it. It is just getting to complicated to do otherwise. When I get it back next week I will post some pictures. What type of paint is commonly used to paint the Argosy's. An automotive type paint? There is a body shop here in town who is going to come and look at it and give me an estimate for the paint and bondo to be used on the dents. What is a average round about price to have one painted? Thanks.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:02 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
glen ellyn , Illinois
Send a message via MSN to lilmouse Send a message via Yahoo to lilmouse
Denise, I need to paint and replace two skins. I have been looking at other threads on the subject. Let me know what you end up doing. My trailer doesn't go anywhere, so taking it to a rv dealer is out of the question. we're doing the DIY route.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:04 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Harlan , Kentucky
Thanks lilmouse, I am going to keep it. I had my eye on a Minuet but its just more money and who's to say if I sold my trailer what I would get. I would be taking another chance and might lose big. I have already worked night and day on this when we first got it home. It just seems like it is going to take forever before we even get to use it. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:11 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Harlan , Kentucky
Hi again lilmouse,
I would love to be able to do most the work myself but there are somethings I would be scared to try for fear of really messing it up. I am thinking about replacing the vinyl flooring with something else. I believe if I got enough information I might could do that. My husband is a great guy but no handyman. So that is why it is at the RV place. If it did not have the bumps on the back rear corner I would not get it painted. I don't think think it would look right unless I do both. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:08 PM   #27
Certifiable

. , .
Hey Denise! Welcome to the forums. I own Vintage Thunder and I thank you for the nice words. I bought VT for a lot more than $3,900 on ebay and our family absolutely loves it. Mice and all! Yes, we have had our fair share of mice. We had a scene straight out of "I Love Lucy" one night during Thanksgiving that maybe I'll tell you about someday... too embarrassing to relate here. And within one month of owning it we had to replace an axle, a tire and the battery. I broke a piece of the awning while at Mammouth NP, etc., etc.

Lately, VT has been in the shop getting some work done... Leaks were found (they all leak) along with many, many acorns. Even fixed up to the level that VT was (over $22,000 was "put into it" before the above replacements), these magnificient vintage trailers need constant monitoring and love. (I think you could fairly say that about new trailers as well.)

Getting one that was "ready to go" was a priority for me too. I am a mechanical imbecile. Before I came across this forum I didn't even know what questions to ask. I didn't know what was important. But I am learning. You will too.

This is the only picture I have access to right now. If you want, I can post more when I get home. Again, welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stream.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	36682  
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Harlan , Kentucky
Hi Mistral Blue,
What other colors have you seen the Argosy's painted and what would you recommend? The color you painted yours is very unique and different. Would love to see more pictures of Vintage Thunder. I guess the 3900 I bought mine for was not too bad. Mine has a few leaks which are going to be fixed also. I thought Airstreams and Argosy's could not leak. I have alot to learn. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:03 PM   #29
Certifiable

. , .
I wasn't the one who painted VT. It was done by GSM Vehicles in Plattsburgh, NY. Rich Luhr had GSM do it. Rich is the one who got it from Terry (Overlander63). Rich is also the editor of Airstream Life magazine.

In person, I've never seen another Argosy painted in anything other than the traditional cream/white color yours is painted. And when it's freshly painted that color, I think they look awesome! I would imagine in hot southern climates it's the most practical color to choose as well.

Just recently, I saw in the Casini thread a couple of photos of a red Argosy. Some people have suggested I put flames on mine. And some people have even painted Airstreams. It's all good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gosy1.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	36683  
Old 05-02-2007, 03:12 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I know of a white Argosy that looks very nice. I think I have pictures that I could email you if you want to PM me with your email address. This Argosy came from the same guy who sold me mine and has been completely redone by a retired pilot in Texas. It is awsome looking now.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #31
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Denise, here's a picture of what your Argosy would look like if it was painted silver. This is on Inland RV's website, and they could even paint it for you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	paint-project72001.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	36685  
Old 05-02-2007, 03:57 PM   #32
Certifiable

. , .
Try these sites for more Vintage Thunder!
Airstream Life's Photo Galleries at pbase.com
Project Vintage Thunder: 2004-07-18

and this one to see what Rich Luhr is up to on a daily basis
Tour of America :: Home
Old 05-02-2007, 04:37 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Harlan , Kentucky
Does anyone know how many 22 foot Argosy's were produced? Also does leaving the interior and exterior original increase the value? My fridge,stove etc... works for now. I was going to get all new appliances but wondered if it might hurt the value somewhat. Is the silver trailer above a Argosy painted silver or an Airstream? I can't tell. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:44 PM   #34
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise M.
I thought Airstreams and Argosy's could not leak.
Oh happy daze if that were the case! They ALL leak. Don't let anybody try to tell you differently. You are only kidding yourself if you think yours doesn't leak. And in this regard, I can tell you that GSM uses what's known as a "Sealtech 430R" to find skin leaks. It's a large squirrel cage fan that sits on the floor inside the trailer. It has a large diameter flexible duct connecting it to one of the ceiling vents. It draws in large volumes of air into the trailer and exerts a small positive pressure inside the trailer. All windows and doors are closed during the test. They spray a soapy solution all over the exterior skin, including every rivet. As the testing goes on, you check for bubbles forming around joints, etc. and mark for caulking after thetrailer is washed off and dry.

P.S. Here's another one of my favorite sites: theVAP - The Vintage Airstream Podcast - Home
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	floor.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	36686   Click image for larger version

Name:	floor3.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	36687  

Name:	floor4.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	36688  
Old 05-02-2007, 04:59 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Please keep in mind that you will never get out of your trailer what you put in to it in money or hard work. Most of us re-do these because we want them and love them. Sometimes we find we need something smaller or bigger and let our baby go to a new home; however, very few of us spend our money and time with the next owner in mind. Do what makes you comfortable and what you will enjoy using. As long as you don't paint the inside pink or purple and take out the bathroom or kitchen, you will probably have a trailer you can resell down the road. Just use your good taste and all should be well. Remember, if you really don't like this Argosy and you are putting money in it with the thought that you can resell it for a profit, you should probably let it go right now and get you something that will make you happy. Old Airstreams are a continual labor of love and money. It's an addiction that you cannot give up.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:18 PM   #36
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Is the silver trailer above a Argosy painted silver or an Airstream? I can't tell. Thanks.
Look at the windows grasshopper.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:36 PM   #37
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Does anyone know how many 22 foot Argosy's were produced? Also does leaving the interior and exterior original increase the value? My fridge,stove etc... works for now. I was going to get all new appliances but wondered if it might hurt the value somewhat. Is the silver trailer above a Argosy painted silver or an Airstream? I can't tell. Thanks.
Leaving the trailer all original is only important if you are going to have a concours winner. Some mods do destroy a trailer's value when they render the trailer less campable, or less safe. There are some mods that are just plain wrong. You can rehab your trailer with new appliances and equipment, as long as it is well done it won't hurt, and may help, if you ever decide to sell.
Things that would enhance the campability and dependability would also enhance the value. For instance, a new stove/range, a new LP/electric fridge, a new air conditioner, new awning, new paint, new axles, new window gaskets, new flooring (vinyl or carpet, tile is a huge no-no). Since your coach has the big wrap around windows, I would strongly suggest you look into a rock guard for the front windows, like the one shown in the painted Airstream above. The wrap around windows are no longer available in clear glass, and replacements cost almost as much as the rock guard. BTW, You can tell it is an Airstream and not an Argosy because there are three segments on the front end cap, an Argosy would only have one.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue
Look at the windows grasshopper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Denise, here's a picture of what your Argosy would look like if it was painted silver. This is on Inland RV's website, and they could even paint it for you.
Uh .... Terry? Was there ever an Argosy produced with front windows like that? I don't have an answer here but I always assumed an Argo had full pano windows. I don't love to be proved wrong but don't mind being proved stupid.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:12 PM   #39
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Uh .... Terry? Was there ever an Argosy produced with front windows like that? I don't have an answer here but I always assumed an Argo had full pano windows. I don't love to be proved wrong but don't mind being proved stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
BTW, You can tell it is an Airstream and not an Argosy because there are three segments on the front end cap, an Argosy would only have one.
For a novice, one silver trailer looks much like another, but I'll bet in another month she will be telling us what year Airstream that is in the picture...
Old 05-02-2007, 06:23 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy Question

The Argosy pictured below was at the WBCCI International Rally (1999) in Dayton, OH. It was one of the first that I encountered painted in something other than the original color scheme. I believe that the color was a Cadillac Pearl Color -- Lilac Mist. It was quite impressive and looked very luxurious with its custom paint job.

Kevin
Attached Images

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote