Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Tote Along

I just purchased a 16gal tote along and was wondering if it was to heavy to mount to the back of my '05 19' bambi?
I have an idea to purchase a few of the awning connector that are attached to the trailer on the bottom.(I dont need the ones with the big screw latches.)and mount those on,then custom bend some aluminum to hold it in place.I could use screws or pins to latch and remove the poles anytime.
What do you all think about that.Please let me know if this is a bad or good thing to do and any other ideas are greatly appreciated.Thanks

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 03:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I think if you stow it empty, it won't be a problem with weight. However, it might be a little unsightly and detract from the good looks of the trailer and Touareg. Whatever!
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 03:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I agree...

with the behind CCD look - empty it'd be fine, but those looks! How about under the tongue a la spare tire holder?

Are you filling up your grey tank that fast? I just like to see how everybody uses their grey tank. I can fill one 15 gallon tote in one day. I've debated getting a new grey tank, but I also like being able to dump it without moving the trailer. Our black tank can go for about 4-5 days max (family of 4).
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 03:16 PM   #4
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
I know

I know and you are right about it looking ugly on the back of the trailer.I know this guy who can fabricate aluminum and weld also.So I have been trying to devise a way to make it as light as possible but have an Aluminum cover around it to make it look like it is part of the airstream.I think I am going to try some other ideas as well.Anyone else have any ideas that can help me out.Thanks

Old 11-25-2005, 03:36 PM   #5
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Dumping

I was planning on getting a bigger tote but it was to big.I figure I will use it every 2 to 3 days.I figure what is 15 minutes out of my time to do this when I am there at the camper.16gal is still a big container though.

Old 11-25-2005, 06:37 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I suppose you could have something like the box Gen Disarray has on his...:

Old 11-25-2005, 10:45 PM   #7
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
no

I dont think I am going to put the tote on the back of the Airstream.I can not think of any way to put this anywhere so it would look nice.I will just carry it in the airstream and wrap it up in some trash bags when we are traveling.
I am still looking into making the aluminum shield in the front though.I was looking at the larger Airstreams that have the ones that set up against the trailer and thought that would look pretty cool to modify one of those behind my propane cover and use it to store my tool box,water hose and accessories into.I would think total weight should be around 50 or so pounds give or take a few.I know that the tools I carry and the hoses are around 30 lbs total so I would think that would be ok on the tongue.What does everyone think?Thanks

Old 11-25-2005, 11:34 PM   #8
_

. , .
wise decision not to....

hi dev

the empty plastic container only weighs 3-5 lbs so it would be fine on the bumper.

but full the 16 gallons is close to 130lbs and this would be bad for the frame, bad on the ride quality, bad for the weight distribution and lower tongue weight.

much better to carry it inside....if it's full i'd suggest putting it in the shower/wetbath, or on the floor in front. you could fit the jug inside a larger rubbermaid container for leak protection, and use the covered container as a foot stool coffee table.

as for the front end box.....i've seen some really nice examples and some others.....

airstream offers a "Flag box" that rivets to the underside up front.....its about 4x10x60 with a nice locking door on the end. while it's intended for flag poles and flags, i pu folding rugs, hoses, tools and other things in mine....i liked it so much the factory installed 2 of them for me.

check it out.

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 11:58 PM   #9
_

. , .
here is a photo that shows the 2 flag boxes just aft of the entry door and under the dinette area. they are really not obvious unless one is looking for them.

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flag boxes.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	16676  
Old 11-26-2005, 04:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
much better to carry it inside....if it's full i'd suggest putting it in the shower/wetbath
I agree. I think your 16 gal. will fit in your shower/bathtub. It should be well rinsed before putting it there, but if it does get a little messy, you can always rinse out the tub. Sounds like an inexpensive solution to me.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
Old 11-26-2005, 06:40 AM   #11
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Thanks

2airishuman I like that idea of putting those flag boxes underneath the trailer.That is a great idea.I wonder if my dealer can instal these for me if I were to order one.I would think they could.

Old 11-26-2005, 01:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
full weight...

I'd not think of putting a full tank inside the trailer, the weight to lift it is INCREDIABLE! (or some spelling of that .....).

My tank stays pretty clean (I just rinse it at the dump station) and put it inside the van. No problems lifting it when empty!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 03:34 PM   #13
_

. , .
hi dev

most dealers should be able to add a flag box. most handy diy'ers could probably do it.....seems there is a weight limit as i recall....50lbs or so. the boxes are nicely made and naturally overpriced as a parts purchase...but were reasonably priced as a factory item...a call to the factory store is best.

i was kidding about using the tote along as a coffee table......

carrying extras is always a challenge when the t.v. is a nicely finished suv like the vdub, but some other options....a car top carrier box like those from yakima/thule would work for an empty container. also i've seen some utility boxes that mount above the hitch receiver on the t.v. and the tote would fit there....even, shall we say full....this would be a much better position than the rear of the stream but hitch load limits still apply.

cheers
2air'
Old 11-26-2005, 04:51 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
I agree. I think your 16 gal. will fit in your shower/bathtub. It should be well rinsed before putting it there, but if it does get a little messy, you can always rinse out the tub. Sounds like an inexpensive solution to me.
I keep our ten gallon tote in the tub, and we used to keep it in the shower of our previous trailer. No problems in either place.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:17 PM   #15
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Tote along

I went outside today and checked around for a place to put a flag box but I think the Bambi is just to small to put it in a good spot.Everywhere I looked there was a copper line in the way.There are a couple spots though but the box would have to be a bit further under the trailer.I think if I keep looking into this I will find a solution.In the meantime though I am still trying to figure out this tote along thing first.
I even thought about purchasing a carrier for my racks but I dont think it will fit cause I put my surfboards and mountain bikes up there.Mabey it will fit though.As you can see in the pic,I have a bit of stuff already on the roof of the T.V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of PB061796.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	16690  

Old 11-27-2005, 05:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
I'd not think of putting a full tank inside the trailer, the weight to lift it is INCREDIABLE! (or some spelling of that .....).
I wouldn't either. A 16 gal Tote would weigh close to 150# full. I'd dump it and rinse it before I'd stow it in my shower.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
Old 11-27-2005, 06:29 AM   #17
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Bad move

I think it would be common sence to not have one completely full or even filled with anything for that matter.Personally I think it would be crazy to even try and get one of those in the trailer anyways because of residue left in the container.Just the thought of it leaking or hitting that one good bump and something gets damaged.That is why I am trying so hard to come up with a solution for the tank.I just want to put it somewhere that I can keep it in a permanent spot and not worry about what I am going to do next.