Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2005, 08:29 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I was going to answer that they seem to be upgrading the larger trailers to the SE line first. Looking at Colonial's website (only for example, not slighting other dealers, etc) I do see they have sold 10 or so 16-footers in the last few years. It's quite small but might do for weekend trips, etc.

The Quicksilver 16' is an option, though there isn't a lot of interior exposed walls in the Airstream website's photo samples -- can't see any aluminium there.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 03:12 AM   #62
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Is there any new information out there about the possibility of a 30" Safari Bunk model with the International SE option?
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:38 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Thumbs up 25' FB Twin-bed SE -- POCKET CRUISER DELUXE!

1. redeagle313 -- I haven't heard. Plans will probably unveil only gradually. Have you asked a dealer to query Jackson Center?

2. I added a 3-way bypass valve ahead of the water pump and winterized our [no name yet!] today. We spent week before last traveling and I'm happy to understand what we have chanced into. Our Safari has too much storage space! 22-footers don't have much storage, but 25-footers give you more if you plan carefully.

We've long considered the average 25' trailer to be our best compromise for mobility and boondocking. Twin beds have always seemed easier and more spacious in 25-footers to our way of thinking. In our new Safari there is a bedside table consisting of a single drawer between the twins under the front window. This table/drawer sits on top of a great storage compartment accessible over the batteries behind the LP tanks. That's the start of the bed area storage.

Outside storage -- all at trailer front:
1. Front compartment, with light inside. Inside dimensions 48" wide, 19.5" deep, 13" high. Door is full width.
2. Curbside compartment, water heater control valves at aft end. Inside dimensions 34" wide, 17.5" deep, 12" height.
3. Roadside compartment. Inside dimensions 50" length, 12" depth, 12" high. Road & curbside doors are 20" x 12".

Inside storage forward of bath/shower:
1. Front overhead compartment -- standard, 2 Safari doors.
2. Roadside overhead compartment -- single Safari door, about 36" wide. This is not in the queen bed version.
3. Curbside half-height wardrobe.
4. Underbed storage: 2 bins roadside, 2 bins curbside (minus Parallax convertor space on curbside).

The Queen bed version does not have the outside front and roadside storage compartments. It does not have the inside roadside overhead compartment. It trades some missing underbed storage for nice drawers under the half-height wardrobe.

All the outside storage on our 25' FB is a luxury. We fit in large woven plastic mat for under the awning, 2 doormats, 2 25' hoses, chocks, the jackstand base, leveling blocks, charcoal, and the Zip-Dee awning tool so far -- and with room to spare. This is going to be fun for adventure far afield while having such nice room to make it possible!

NOTE: The photos of the twin-bed FB LS SE at http://www.colonialairstream.com/newinventory/7832.html do not have the access doors at front and roadside; the exterior photos must be of a queen bed version!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 11-21-2005, 04:35 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Los Alamitos , California
Hi all:

Well, we should be getting our Safari SE LS within the week, by Thanksgiving Really getting a bit excited now.

This is the best forum ever.

Robert/Sherry
OpenHigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:47 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Robert and Sherry,

How long did it take for you to get your Safari. This Wednesday will be 8 weeks since we ordered our 25 FB LS and still haven't heard when it will come off the production line. Bummer.

Mike

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:41 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
Robert and Sherry,

How long did it take for you to get your Safari. This Wednesday will be 8 weeks since we ordered our 25 FB LS and still haven't heard when it will come off the production line. Bummer.

Mike
I know the feeling. We ordered a 30' Classic 10/10/05 . Production date is supposed to be 12/16/05 , 3 weeks and a few days to go. I'm going stur crazy. Since we were not using the one we had we let the dealer have it while waiting on the new. We wouldn't be going anywhere anyway , still don't have anything to mess with. -------Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:34 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Thumbs up

We ordered ours July 10th and it was finished the first week of August. It was delivered to Fogdall's in a matter of days but we couldn't get down there to pick it up until Sept 8th. Now that was hard to take.

Ordering was quite a treat. We talked to 2 dealers and I started with more info than they had. The Special Editions had been announced only about a month. I walked away with about a 10% discount because the demand hadn't picked up yet. They were pretty wowed when my unit was delivered!

I'd suspect dealers have put in a lot of orders now so they'll have units for the February camping shows. Buck up and be patient. They're hard to use this time of year but a lot of fun to look at! And hug...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 11-21-2005, 11:40 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

Pickup my trailer in Texas the week of Dec. 5th. This waiting is maddening so I am glad to hear that others are suffering.

LOL,
Iver
Iver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:27 AM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
We signed the contract on September 18, so it looks like about 9 weeks plus from date of purchase order to delivery here in So. Cal. After speaking with Traveland sales agent (Jerry) at least a dozen times, I get the feeling the 28 Safari SE is their first delivery of this unit. Sure am trusting those in Ohio took their time to do it right the first time.

We were told it had left the factory, was on the way, and should be here either tomorrow, or the day after Thanksgiving.

Robert and Sherry
Old 11-22-2005, 01:02 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

Looks like you and I will have the first hacks at this model. I was told that mine went thru the line behind the show model built for the New Orleans show. We would hope that the production people keep a sharp eye on the early production to make sure that things are tuned well.
It has been in Texas for about a month getting preped and having some modifications I requested (basically everything Tin Hut touted several months ago, minus the underbelly mood lights, yet more $$$).
We need to keep in touch to trade info. ... pano windows on both ends ... neat.

Iver
Iver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:58 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
We finally got down to our dealer last weekend and toured one with the twin beds. There are many many many things I really like about the Safari SE. But! I don't think it has the wardrobe capacity ours does or maybe even as much outside storage. It also didn't seem as open on the inside, by no means cramped though. Hmmm. What this means is that I haven't convinced myself (or my wife) yet that I have to have one. I dream of Levolor blinds and Vista View windows though... If they made a 28' (we asked our dealer to check with Airstream) it might be a done deal.
Enjoy,
Ken
Old 11-22-2005, 04:27 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
28 SE is indeed a reality

Just a quick note to confirm that A/S is indeed introducing a 28' SE model at the RVIA show the first week in Dec. I actually have the only one outside of A/S (it was a custom order). We got lucky on the order back in Sept as A/S was getting ready to build the first unit for the RVIA show and engineering agreed to build two. So at this time, we have the only 28' SE at any dealer and there won't be more available until Jan (at least that is the last word we had from A/S). The only drawback I see to the 28' is the limited closet space. Otherwise it is an outstanding layout and the 28 floorplan looks great in SE dress.

One other note of interest. A/S has switched to the Sony 19' WEGA HD LCD TV when the audio/video upgrade is ordered. This is big improvement over the Sharp sets that they had been using. Not to put down the Sharp, but it was just a 4X3 aspect ratio, standard resolution set. The new Sony is widescreen (16X9 aspect ratio) with 720P vertical resolution (the minimum for HD designation). They have also beefed up the articulation arm mount as the new Sony is a bit heavier.

David Tidmore
GM Roger Williams Airstream
Weatherford, TX
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:26 PM   #73
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Glad to hear the news about the more modern flat panel TV. I may be swayed to include the A/V package when I order instead of just getting the audio package only. Of course it will depend on the price for the package compared to the price of A/V package vs. Airstream audio package only and flat panel from a big box retailer. Now just waiting on the 30' bunk in the SE package.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:38 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
25' Special Edition

Ken (silverback) -- My 25' twin-bed beats the queen on bin space. Wardrobe space? About what I'd expect -- one full length, one half length and neither one huge. Now I can't be talking twin unless the subject is the FB (no way to get twins in the SS!). But the queen FB has only one small curbside compartment. The twin FB adds a second and a third, each of which is almost twice the size of the curbside! See my post 63 in this thread.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 11-23-2005, 06:50 AM   #75
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
There are four Safari SE's being delivered to So. Cal on Monday or Tuesday after T/G. We were told delivery would be Thanksgiving week, so I guess a few days to wait and for the driver's to have a good meal with family is a good thing.

Robert and Sherry
Old 12-01-2005, 05:54 AM   #76
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Hi all: Well, we took delivery and the unit came out clean with only a few minor issues.

1) Yes, the TV is the Sony upgrade with the stronger arm. Noticed when we got home, one screw holding the TV to the bracket was almost completely dislodged, and only two screws are holding it in place (besides the velcro)
2) The detailer managed to dent the cabinet, but the mark is small and can be filled in (with what)?
3) The detail work on the inside appears to be fine, with the usual exception there are very small gaps here and there due to the rounding of the structure.
4) The fantastic fan only blows unidirectional, not bidirectional as some on the forum have noted.
5) There is a really cool insignia on the panel to the right side of the door, a circle with a 75 in the center with the word Silver on top, and Edition on the bottom.

Anyway we are really excited.

Lots more questions later, so will be asking them on different threads, like solar panels (we didn't get the option) and insurance.

Thanks all, Robert and Sherry
Old 12-01-2005, 06:21 AM   #77
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
28' Safari SE

The 28' Safari SE units are already out! This unit has been at Colonial Airstream in NJ for nearly a month already, if not a bit longer!!

http://www.colonialairstream.com/newinventory/7905.html
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 06:10 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Thank you Eric!

28 Footer! Too cool!! I think it's high time that Airstream matched model offerings with equally competitive windows in a less ornate kitchen, moving away from the frame and panel cabinetry style. To say nothing of so-o-o much less weight!! Have you ever used one of those flexible rollup cutting surfaces? They wear out sooner rather than later, but weigh so much less than Corian!! (Tho the quality of the laminate counter edge finishing in my Safari SE certainly has its drawbacks...)

My personal use would tilt toward the shorter trailer so that I can fit in state & national forest campground sites that often are length limited. I've already been to one high demand Minnesota state park (Taylors' Falls Interstate Park -- admittedly older) where I parked my 25' Safari and was challenged to fit my truck in the drive.

If you have to have a queen bed I see the 28' SE as a nicer option than the cramped 25' SE queen. Looking at the Colonial Airstream site I see equivalent internal storage space; there might be a second half-height wardrobe at one of the front corners (but hey, I chose the front and back pano windows ... ). Referencing my previous posts, the twin-bed 25' SE has three outside storage bins -- the champion long distance road warrior IMHO. Looking at the Colonial 28' SE webpage I see only one rear bumper outside storage bin with nothing at curbside. Is that heater & hot water heater at far front on streetside? I also don't see the slide-out vertical pantry, though it does look like there is more kitchen cabinetry to compensate. Do I see only one Vista View window though?

Who's complaining -- sleeping under aluminum never will disturb the magnetic fields flowing through our heads at night. And I've got a bridge in Lake Havasu to sell you....

The Safari SE -- the trailer the New Millenium was made for!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 12-01-2005, 06:33 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Robert and Sherry (OpenHigher) -- Silvertwinkie has been thru this on other posts. Airstream stopped offering the option of bidirectional Fantastic Fans over a year ago due to possible intake of vented sewer gases. There had been a time when you could get an 'out' FF at one end and an 'in' FF at the other I believe. That doesn't stop an owner from pulling out the checkbook (what's that?) and installing one on their own, but you'd probably want to put the 'in' functioning fan further away from the black tank vent.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 12-02-2005, 06:47 AM   #80
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Canoe Stream:

Re: the laminate finishing on the Safari SE.

They did a fairly good job on our rig. The table is tight and clean finished all the way around. The kitchen counter, near the stove, is another matter. Right at the stove front corner there is a sharp edge of metel just barely protruding where the laminate comes flush to the corner. This protrusiosn causes the laminate to not be flat less than 1/16 of an inch. However, it is sharp enough to cut your finger if you hit it just right. The other issue is the laminate, about four inches toward the sink, is not quite glued flush, almost, but not quite. I can see Sherry wiping off the sink and over time water will cause the separation to increase.

Anyway, over all I found the finished product to be very clean.

Best, Robert and Sherry