Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2005, 01:13 AM   #1
Rivet Master

A good source for new parts/appliances!

I have found a place in Florida that will sell the 13.5K Carrier with the heat strip for $434 plus $69 shipping.
They also have the 15k Carrier for $499 plus $69 shipping!
I also have another one that will sell you a brand new fridge for about half of what they are retail. They also have stoves for about half of retail.
Everything I have gotten from these two sources has been first quality stuff.
I spend A LOT of time on the Internet and sometimes it pays off!
PM me for the details!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

I have been getting a lot of emails and PM's for the information so I am going to put it on the thread.
I hope this helps everyone out. I know that all of my research to find the best possible deal on my limited budget has proven to help me slowly restore my little Minuet back to a somewhat glorious existence.
I am sorry that I have had most of this information for nearly a year now. I just never thought it would be useful to everyone.
You do not have to mention my name. I am not getting any money for doing this. I am posting this information so that we all can enjoy our trailers for the least amount of money.
The Carrier A/C place is: Family RV Parts & Repair out of Florida, their number is: 727-389-3440. He will ship you the 13.5k BTU A/C with the lower unit and the heat strip for $508 total. The 15k BTU Carrier A/C unit complete is $568 shipped. Nothing more to buy. If you do not have A/C installed on your rig you can call Airstream and they are very helpful in telling where to cut the hole on your particular trailer. There are also two VERY good threads on here about how to modify the drain tube to work on a Carrier A/C with the Slinger Wheel. It worked on mine just fine.
As for the source for other appliances like Dometic fridges, Atwood water heaters, stoves, ovens and water pumps the best source is Palomino Parts in Michigan. I got the Dometic RM2353 3-way fridge from them, (BRAND NEW and crated), for $385 shipped to my door. They have various fridges and the prices run from as much as 45% off to 20% off of the retail. Still a very good deal. I just bought a new range from them and it was $197.50 with the shipping. It isn't anything special; just a Suburban 17" model. Palomino's number is: 1-800-297-5830. They are really nice guys to deal with. You do need to know what you are looking for as they are a distribution center as well. Ask them, they may have what you need and cheaper than someone else.
I hope this helps all of you. As Red Green would say, "If women cannot find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!"
Old 02-28-2005, 05:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Thanks for the information...

Do you know if either of these companies have websites?

Thanks,

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 11:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
Thanks for the information...

Do you know if either of these companies have websites?

Thanks,

Malcolm
I am sure that Palomino does not. They are a distribution center for Forest River. I have never received a catalog from them. I just call up and, BAM, they hook me up with what I am looking for.
Family RV has those Carrier A/C units on eBay right now http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT is the 13.5k unit and http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW is the 15k unit. If you are a Florida resident he will pay half of your sales tax too!
I was told by the owner that Carrier will be coming out with a new low-profile unit just in time for the big summer sales push. He saw it at the trade show and said it was really nice. I was so excited about the deal I got that I forgot to ask him if they had a web-site.
Hope this helps!
Old 03-11-2005, 11:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

I called Airstream and they got me the measurements for the hole for the A/C unit!
Easy as pie!
Has anyone used any of my leads for cheap parts? I would like to know how your experiences were.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:47 PM   #6
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Glad your there ...

I, for one, am gratified that Inland RV is there. I usually get what I want - when I want it ... sure I've occasionally cringed at what I paid (no different than from other vendors) but - I know that if what I received isn't correct I have an established business I can return it to.

As a neophyte in the world of Airstream, Inland RV supplied me with the stuff & bits & pieces I needed ... Because of my experience, I could source parts for a 1914 Diamler or a 300-F Chrysler or a Silver Cloud --- but had no idea where to go for Airstream parts.

Of course the best source of information is this wonderful Forum, that's where I was introduced to Inland RV. It has and is a great source for vendors & their parts and comes with a critique too! What a great place for Airstream knowledge.

So remember guys - a forum is a public meeting place for open discussion or expression of ideas ...

And this Forum ... well ... It-Is-what-it-is! Just use it for your best advantage.

Thanks Andy, for taking time from your schedule to answer some dumb questions!
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 09:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I don't think Tin Hut was the first person to jump into this thread with useless information. I really appreciate Lou telling us about a good deal!

Thanks, Lou.
Mark,
I missed this the first time.
Thanks for all of your words of thanks and encouragement.
I am still out there swinging for all of us that cannot or will not shell out $50k for a new A/S. Not that I do not think they are worth it. I just cannot afford it with the cost of living going up on a daily basis.
I am not giving leads on stuff that I get a kickback on.
I am not giving leads for inferior products. My dad, who worked on Airstreams from about 1960 taught me how to keep the trailer from ever seeing the dealership again. The one thing he would not do is scrimp on quality; that is why he bought an A/S in the first place.
Chances are my Minuet will be the same as the rest of my A/S products: rebuilt by me, repaired by me and maintained by me.
Just as there is no better source than Andy to get those hard-to-find parts that no one else will take the time or money to make, you have to find the best possible source to buy the other things from.
Would I buy those one-of-a-kind things from Andy? Sure I will.
Would I buy an axle from Andy? Most likely not as I can have the same thing built locally for less than half the cost.
Why would I buy one thing from him and not another? The same reason General Motors shops for its equipment and supplies: cost. I am running a business too. "Patterson, Inc.". It has one CEO, (me) and three board members: Candie (my wife), Alexandra (my 5 year old) and Grace (my 2 year old). We have two employees: Molly (my 2 year old Standard Schnauzer) and Scrappy, (my 6 month old Miniature Schnauzer). We have over 600 years of doing business as "Patterson, Inc.". 150 years in business here in the USA and another 450 years of doing business in Scotland. There have been mergers and acquistions along the way. I have to get a 100% customer satisfaction rating, not a 95%.
What I am saying is that all of us "run a business". It is called our families. We need to find the best possible quality at the best possible price. If Inland RV supplies that, then they get my business for that purchase. If they do not, then I make that purchase with whomever it is. Plain and simple.
I think what gets lost here is that Andy feels we are not in business ourselves. We have to find those deals. We have to share those with other members of the forum. I consider this part of my community involvement here.
I may not have $300,000 in inventory but I do have a lot of committment here that requires a substantial cashflow. Just as Andy needs.
I will continue to shop for the best possible price on things.
I will continue to share that information with all of the other "Family Corporations" that participate on this forum.
I will not be badgered into not sharing this information, publicly or through PM's.
I have worked on A/S's since I was 13. I have rebuilt three Argosys and one 1963 Bambi. I think I know my way around one well enough. I still find things that surprise and amaze me though!
Thanks again for the kind words, people. It really makes me feel like I am making a difference on here.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Argosy24MH
This thread first went off course with the post from Inland RV. No one asked about your business practices and pricing justification, can you explain how this was pertinent to the thead?

Your statement "Obviously, someone has posted how to modify a Carrier, after they got the information from us." was refuted, do not be so egocentric that you believe you are the only person/corporaton capable of such a modification or developing such a modification. There are some extremely talented members here who share their knowledge simply for the good of the Airstream community. I found that statement very insulting.

You do solicit business thru this site. I have seen no objections from Inland RV when customers sing your praise, are you saying that anyone who has not had a positive experience with you should not be allowed to also relate this experience? If 95% or your customers are satisfied why do you absolutely feel the need to get into a dispute on this forum with the ones that are not? Tin Hut intimates he did not have a positive experience and this brings the type of reply that Maxine left? Is this the business attitude you want to display to potential customers on a public forum?

You take offense when a thread is started about a part that is available at a lower price than Inland RV, you make the same post about brick and mortar vs. no support, the thread spirals out of control. Do you see the pattern? I have watched it for nearly 3 years. It hasn't changed. Your attitude very quickly becomes very aggresive, very antognistic and now you want a moderator to step in and resolve the situation.

Your statement "No one was talking with you, or to you. Why are you sticking your unwanted, unsolicited two cents worth into our postings with others." is one you would be well advised to heed. You did take this thread off course with your posts and attitude. Think before you type, what will the reaction be, what has the reaction been in the past? This moderator's advice to you is be less aggresive and quit making the same posts that you know are going to end up needing attention from one of us.

John
John,
Thanks for the input.
All I want to do is share information with my fellow forum members.
I figure that we are all paying twice the amount for electricity, natural gas and water compared to a few years ago. Not to mention the spiraling gasoline prices. We all need to buckle down and save some serious cabbage where we can.
BTW-when are you gonna invite me over to look at yer masterpiece?
Old 03-27-2005, 09:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLB21
I thought Inland-Andy owned this website. Often times he relates his answers to what he sells and references parts purchases to his website.

Inland does have some hard to find parts but most parts can also be purchased from any Airstream dealer or Airstream parts source. I try to shop for the best deal. The Airstream factory has been very helpful in recommendations.
Louie,
When you find something that is a good deal let us know. I like to think of it as collective bargain-hunting!
BTW-Great name!
Old 03-27-2005, 09:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
I too have done business with Inland RV and will continue to in the future. The prices are not always the lowest (hardly) and with discretionary spending I tend to be tight.

I wanted to give Andy an order for three new rims but his price was more than double that of another vendor suggested right here. I couldn't justify giving Inland that order.

Andy benefits from this forum for old business as well as new -- witness the storm door kits he'll be offering soon as a result of a recent DIY post -- good for him it's great that those that can't be bothered to make them for themselves can GET them from a vendor that's fast to fill a need!

The only thing I think I see missing here is a true Vendors Forum. I belong to an auto forum (looks like it's running on the same software) where sponsors (I guess they pay some nominal support fee to the site) have their own section where they can post specials, group buys, etc.

I know I'm not opposed to that and on that auto forum, Andy would have been able to read this message and then go to his section and post an air conditioning special. Hey if it benefits the members I can live with that!

I got a kick out of LLB21's assumption that Andy owned the site -- Andy's doing a good job at making sure we know he's there. When I first got on I thought the same thing.

Not knowing everything about this site I'd guess that Andy's Soap Box stance maybe the result of some frustration. How to compete with a guy that has no affiliation or alliance with the club. Being self-employed I know the feeling!

I'm not going to fault a guy for trying -- I know a soap box when I see one (and so does everyone else).

Thanks for the information Lou! Thanks for being here Andy!
You rock!
Thanks for the compliment!
Now convince my wife that what I am doing on here at midnight is only to find good buys on A/S stuff!
Old 03-27-2005, 10:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

I've got another good deal for everyone!

For those of you who are President's Club members of Camping World you can get the InteliPower 9100 60-Amp converter/charger for $179.10 plus shipping. http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...5&skunum=21995

For those of you who are not President's Club members you can try Campers Choice for the same exact converter for $194.50. They have free shipping on any order of $100 or more.
I got the same exact converter/charger from Campers Choice with the Charge Wizard and it was about $15 less than CW with the President's Club membership.
Campers Choice also emails you a tracking information message with the tracking number for your shipment. I got my stuff in less than a week.
I know that the 60-amp is overkill but I figured that when I start "adding toys" I will need a little more than what I had, (30-amp).
Hope this helps!
Old 03-27-2005, 10:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
We took advantage of the Family RV deal and I'd like to let all know how smoothly it went. First we looked really carefully at the manuals on the Carrier website and checked the Family RV out for buyer ratings on ebay and the Better Business Bureau. Then I called and bugged the salesman selling these items with questions for about a half hour. The guy gave me no-nonsense answers about its function and installation--and left me satisfied. We ended up buying the heat pump and paid and extra $69 for shipping. The unit arrived well packed and unscathed by Fedex (trackable!) four days later. It now sits, covered with a blanket, in our living room.

We still have to install the thing (no, we don't see it as a new furniture option). We've made arrangements to head out in a few weeks to a friend's farm, where we'll rig a block and tackle on a beam to lower the old unit (a noisy but vintage 1960s ac) off and raise the new one up. We're still trying to figure out where the new unit connects to the old drain, but that should become clearer when we get the unit fully out of its crate. Meanwhile, it's serving as a prefered cat bed and architectural oddity.

Thanks for the lead!

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 10:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
We took advantage of the Family RV deal and I'd like to let all know how smoothly it went. First we looked really carefully at the manuals on the Carrier website and checked the Family RV out for buyer ratings on ebay and the Better Business Bureau. Then I called and bugged the salesman selling these items with questions for about a half hour. The guy gave me no-nonsense answers about its function and installation--and left me satisfied. We ended up buying the heat pump and paid and extra $69 for shipping. The unit arrived well packed and unscathed by Fedex (trackable!) four days later. It now sits, covered with a blanket, in our living room.

We still have to install the thing (no, we don't see it as a new furniture option). We've made arrangements to head out in a few weeks to a friend's farm, where we'll rig a block and tackle on a beam to lower the old unit (a noisy but vintage 1960s ac) off and raise the new one up. We're still trying to figure out where the new unit connects to the old drain, but that should become clearer when we get the unit fully out of its crate. Meanwhile, it's serving as a prefered cat bed and architectural oddity.

Thanks for the lead!

Mary
Mary,
Thanks for the compliment.
I am pretty good at finding a good deal.
I just hope everyone finds it all as useful as you did.
Family RV may not be an A/S dealer but the way I look at it, an A/C unit is an A/C unit. This will make my third installation. The first one was on my Bambi that had a factory-installed unit that I replaced. The second was on a friend's SOB trailer that I had to do a little fabricating to make it look clean.
Family RV does have the best price I have found.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:55 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Dometic Fridg Prices

Lou, Thanks for the info on Palomino as a source for the frig. A 2820 is $800 which is about $300 cheaper than anyone else.
jperryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 08:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryfly
Lou, Thanks for the info on Palomino as a source for the frig. A 2820 is $800 which is about $300 cheaper than anyone else.
Palomino is pretty good with the fridge prices.
I also got a water pump from them for about half the cost of anyone else. It is all brand new stuff too. No seconds or scratch and dent stuff.
I was going to get my stove from them but I found a scratch and dent Magic Chef for less money, believe it or not.
Has anyone read my thread titled, "Cheap Thin-Lites"? Those people are awesome too!
Old 03-29-2005, 12:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
For those of you who are President's Club members of Camping World you can get the InteliPower 9100 60-Amp converter/charger for $179.10 plus shipping. http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...5&skunum=21995

For those of you who are not President's Club members you can try Campers Choice for the same exact converter for $194.50. They have free shipping on any order of $100 or more.
I got the same exact converter/charger from Campers Choice with the Charge Wizard and it was about $15 less than CW with the President's Club membership.
Campers Choice also emails you a tracking information message with the tracking number for your shipment. I got my stuff in less than a week.
I know that the 60-amp is overkill but I figured that when I start "adding toys" I will need a little more than what I had, (30-amp).
Hope this helps!
Lou,
By the time you add the Charge Wizard, I think we still have the best price. Plus we offer a discount to forum members since we are Airstream people too.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 03:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander
Lou,
By the time you add the Charge Wizard, I think we still have the best price. Plus we offer a discount to forum members since we are Airstream people too.
Man, I wish you would have told me that sooner!
I would have rather bought one from a forum member!
Well, I will be replacing the one in the 1973 Argosy 20 as well. You will get my business then for sure!
How much do you get for the same set-up I got?
Old 03-29-2005, 05:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
Man, I wish you would have told me that sooner!
I would have rather bought one from a forum member!
Well, I will be replacing the one in the 1973 Argosy 20 as well. You will get my business then for sure!
How much do you get for the same set-up I got?
Hi Lou,
As a vendor, I'm not supposed to post prices but you can check our website and see. We also offer free Priority Mail shipping. Don't forget to ask for the discount if you call.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
I bought an Intelli power from Overlander 68 last year and was pleased with the price, prompt shipping and the questions they answered over the phone. Also, there were no additional "Handling" charges that some shops like to add.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:21 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Hut
I bought an Intelli power from Overlander 68 last year and was pleased with the price, prompt shipping and the questions they answered over the phone. Also, there were no additional "Handling" charges that some shops like to add.
That settles it!
www.bestconverter.com is now the official site for the BEST price for the InteliPower 9100 Series 60 amp converter/charger. They will also throw in the Charge Wizard with your order. Be sure to mention that you are a fellow Airstream enthusiaist and they will cut you a break.
Now, I can say it for you though! I have become the self-described king of prices!