Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2004, 10:02 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Therm'x Catalytic Heater Operation

I have a Catalytic Heater I want to install in my 64 Safari. My original was removed by PO. The old gas line is there. I believe this one came from a late 60’s Airstream.

It is a Buta Therm’x Model 310 TE. Made in France.

I understand the basic operating principles of catalytic heaters whereby propane is diffused through a pad of mineral fibers coated with a thin covering of a catalyst and combines with atmospheric oxygen in a low temperature flameless combustion process producing an exothermic reaction where heat is transferred to the cargo compartment through convection and is then redistributed by radiation off heated articles. This can lead to oxygen depletion in the trailer. No problem.

What I don’t understand is the mechanics of it. How do you operate the darn thing ?!?

There is a center plastic knob marked “ 1/1 0 ¬ ▬ 1/2 “ and a main lever with plastic handle to the left, that can be moved left. The knob operates the valve, and I ASSUME the lever is for lighting mode. When the knob is turned full right it moves a second, hooked lever arm with spring down, allowing main hand lever to be moved fully left. No wires, no igniter that I can see.

So…how do you operate this thing? How do you light it? What is the ignition source to start the heat reaction? What do the markings 1/1 0 ¬ ▬ 1/2 indicate?

Thanks, Walter
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote