Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2003, 08:45 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Quote:
BTW, I was pretty stoked to find that I could get the LED tail lights on the Safari by going the Safari upgrade package route...pretty sharp!
That's great new. I'm happy for you. We love the led lights!
I still can't understand the window thing. I see what you mean from the pics but it makes no sense. You need a functional window! Go for it!
Old 09-22-2003, 06:24 AM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks for the info.....I am going to ask for the same CCD rear window. To me the measurements look the same, so even if the cost is a few hundred more, then to me, it's worth it as the cross breeze (as you have even pointed out) would increase 10 fold.

One thing that I hadn't expected was the fantastic fan in the rear vent opening as well. From the sounds of it, there is a fully functional one in front and in back exhaust only if I am reading you right.

The on in the BR roof vent, does it also have a rain sensor and thermostat?

You know, I was also thinking of asking for the front shell from the CCD to be installed at the time of manufacture so that I could get the panoramic front windows, but then the whole front would be windows as the Safari has two huge side windows up front....so I think I'll settle for just a working rear window.

You know on a not so cold day, I could see myself even opening the door (latching it or otherwise) temp to go out and get something and the furnace would kick on and cook the door. I had never occoured to me until last night when I happend to glance at the photos. That's a bad place to put that exhaust.....

I agree, the LED tail lights are way neat and they use less power so I might not have to change my turn signal flasher to a heavy duty one.....

Thanks a bunch Kimili for the info and pics!

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 12:30 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Salem , Massachusetts
to further clarify...

we have 2 fantastic fans, one in the front and one over the bed in the back. They both have a rain sensor, the 3 speeds and 2 switches: one with an open/close design and the other for in/out.
The one in the back, even though it looks like the other one, turns off when you press on the switch to change/invert the fan.

Quote:
then the whole front would be windows as the Safari has two huge side windows up front....
Exactly! we love that especially if you park infront of the right view!
We too have the two big windows on the side and a couple of feet after we have another big window at the dinette.
Old 01-01-2004, 02:46 PM   #24

Exclamation 25' CCD as opposed to a 28' CCD

Anyone wish they had bought the 28' instead of the 25'?

I like the separate bedroom but the 28' seems a little shy on wardrobe space. The 25' has two wardrobes.

I'm concerned about one holding tank as opposed to two on the 25'. There have been times when I needed to dump the grey water and could pull pull off the road. Can't do that on the 28'.

The there's the increased weight in the 28', and I'm not sure the difference in price justify's two more feet and the different floor plan.

I'd appreciate any comments. I'll be in this pretty much full time, and I need to place my order soon.
robtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 10:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
28' Internation CCD

We are NEWBIES in the process of getting a 28' International CCD. We went to look at a used 30' Classic with slide out but once we saw the CCD, it appealed more to our tastes. We are planning on using a 2004 Dodge Durango with 5.7 Hemi that has a towing capacity of 8700 lbs. The trailer has a GVWR of 7300 lbs. Does this sound reasonable? Regarding quality issues, I found 2 just looking at the trailer. A biggie is the wardrobe door won't open and a small one is the tv shelf by the sofa was not installed flush. Anything else I should check out before accepting it? We're getting it from Bill Thomas Camper Sales in Wentzville, MO. Thanks for your help.
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 10:31 PM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
jcanavera I think bought from the same place. I think he was pretty satisfied with the dealer, but let him tell you about it.

I have a 5.7 LT1 and I am shakey with a 25'. My gut tells me that at 25' it's about as big as I want to get with the 5.7. You'll have to get a feel for it. Your wheelbase is not far from where I am at in the Impala SS, regardless that I too have a full body on frame with all the extra I myself have added to make it a proper tow vehicle (upgraded drive shaft, 3.73 gears, cooling larger lower front ball joints, PCM programming, lower thermostat, etc..

It's really a judgement call. But as I've said, you might be at the outer limits of where you might feel safe. I know I do and I only have the baby 25'.

As for regrets, not a single one. The 25' "C" is a wonderful unit. Very spacious and is has literally 3x the storage that the Bambi had and even more than some of the larger units. As of right now, I wouldn't trade my Safari "C". I love this unit and the fact that I special ordered it makes it just the way I wanted it!

Also there is no way in He** I'd go for the combined grey/black tank for the same reasons stated above. I enjoy having the ability to dump my grey where availible and if need be take my 18 gals of black home if need be, not the full dual tank.

I think the dual tank is a mistake, but I am sure there were some engineering reasons why, I am just glad I have 2 tanks!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 08:34 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Question just moved down to the 25ss from Limited---love it

I joined the crowd....and all is good about the new product. Slept over 30 of first 120 nights in the unit. Hate the air conditioner versus the limited---wish they had put the thermostat unit in it.....and miss the electric water heater. Otherwise GREAT.

Question for the crowd.....at the 5500 towing weight, what are the favored cars/trucks for pulling. I have just sold the Yukon, and looking for ideal balance between power and economy of operations. Will head west for 6 months, and want effeciency, and quality.....suggestions and experience please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfuson
I have just become the proud owner of a 2004 International CCD 25'.

It is my first Airstream, and I am just starting to realize what an amazing sub-culture I have joined.

I guess at some point there will be a forum for the newer models. However, I am enjoying reading all of the interesting stuff in the other areas.

I will be pulling my trailer for it's first trip to the NC mountains this Sunday.

Andy
ASFlorida25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 05:58 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Stone Mountain , Georgia
Tow vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASFlorida25
I joined the crowd....and all is good about the new product. Slept over 30 of first 120 nights in the unit. Hate the air conditioner versus the limited---wish they had put the thermostat unit in it.....and miss the electric water heater. Otherwise GREAT.

Question for the crowd.....at the 5500 towing weight, what are the favored cars/trucks for pulling. I have just sold the Yukon, and looking for ideal balance between power and economy of operations. Will head west for 6 months, and want effeciency, and quality.....suggestions and experience please?

Well, I can't say that it's the best for sure, but I can tell you that I traded my 2003 Chev 1500 gas truck for a 2004 Chev. 2500 Duramax deisel. I have pulled with it twice now and love it. No trouble with hills.

Welcome to the family!

Andy
andyfuson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 06:51 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Andy, I have the exact same setup and love it (I was towing our 22' CCD with a Tundra). We've done 4 trips, one was a serious hill climber going down and up the other side of the Salt River canyon in both directions. I wouldn't mind if the extending towing mirrors went out just a tad further though. That wide body is.. uh wide. Adding convex blind spot mirrors is almost perfect.
KL
Old 07-13-2004, 07:19 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
, Texas
I have been towing my 28' CCD with the VW Toureag and have had no difficulties or concerns with it. It has proved to be a great combination.
Towhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 06:58 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhead
I have been towing my 28' CCD with the VW Toureag and have had no difficulties or concerns with it. It has proved to be a great combination.
Decided on the Porche Cayanne.....doing fine so far. Thanks
ASFlorida25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 09:14 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Are you sure?

These forums go back and forth with believers on each side being equally convinced. Small SUV owners (Touareg, Cayenne, Explorer and on and on) should read deeper than this post. Optional engine power does not figure in discussing tow safety. Somewhere I watched an online New York TV station report that VW said "Don't do this" in regard to what is bantered around in the New Volkswagen AS Commercial thread. But you'll never get that from a floor sales person -- truck or trailer type!!

Let's start with absolutes:
* You will not tow at the trailer's unloaded base weight.
* The published base weight for your tow vehicle does not include driver, passengers, fuel, options, hitch and tongue weight.
* Tow vehicle base weight + payload = GVWR for the tow vehicle.

Now the assumptions:
* You don't intend to tow over your trailer's GVWR (see Airstream's explanation).
* You cannot tow without weight distribution. This and your hitch bar will add something approaching 200# load to the tow vehicle (if you rationalize that it's on the trailer, it is all forward and right on your rear bumper). Don't forget to add it somewhere -- and not just 15% of it either!
* Your tow vehicle's listed payload should be a top limit for tow vehicle contents and the tongue weight. The consequences of exceeding this are great stress on your SUV and putting lives and trailer at risk. The government requires a certification label on your tow vehicle stating base weight and GVWR (driver's door frame on mine).
* Please do the math and I hope you can make it work for you.

As I read Airstream's specifications, the 25' Safari SS & the 28' CCD GVWR are identical -- 7300#. The empty trailer tongue weights are already at the top end of the Tongue Weight = 10-15% of Trailer Weight rule. And I still haven't mentioned tow capacity, engine power or 'how nicely it handles the weight.'

Past threads:
Smaller tow vehicles
Towing a 25' Airstream with a Yukon?
Can My Sierra Denali Handle a 30' SO (The Touareg and Cayenne have a 112" wheelbase!! Read RoadKingMoe -- conservative and safe IMHO)

More research is gooder. I know that my numbers make me feel I have a good safety margin with my 5800# trailer GVWR. Life offers no absolutes.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2004 international